Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

VSS shadow copies on shared folders on the network

Steviebone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: VSS shadow copies on shared folders on the network Reply with quote

I posed a question in support regarding copying system files over the network here: http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict4359.htm . Since this isn't really a 'bug' issue in VV I am moving this conversation here to see if anyone has any experience that could help...

VSS shares cannot be initiated over the network. I know I can run VV locally but this decentralizes management and disperses the backups over too many machines. There would also be licensing issues.

An admin suggested:

Quote:
... is it possible to schedule the creation of a shadow copy on the local machine and then have ViceVersa work out of that shadow copy? e.g. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779652%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I have been trying to experiment with this technique bu I am confused. The Windows documentation is not very clear. For example, if I create a vss share on the c drive, it seems to (a) force me to include the whole drive in the share, not just specific folders... and (b) I can't control or even see where the shares would be located in order to point VV to them from another machine. On the test machine it only allowed local 'revert'. I couldn't find a 'folder' to access for VV.

Does anyone here have experience in setting up VSS shared folders that can be accessed over an internal LAN?

The shares would be mostly on Win 7 and 2008R2 machines.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum