Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

vss, network permissions for Windows folders

Steviebone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: vss, network permissions for Windows folders Reply with quote

I am trying to keep the vvengine/vversa profiles centralized for the network. This means that I am trying to backup system folders across the network. I have two problems:

1) vss cannot be initiated for a network machine/share right? only works for the local machine

2) what permissions can I safely give the windows system folders on the source network shares to allow transfer of these files? I know that without vss many of these files may trigger open errors anyway... Is there a way to safely transfer these files?

Only work around I can think of is to use an imaging program or a local copy of vv on these machines to copy these folders elsewhere on the target machine first, then copy these folders to the backup storage from the centralized vv server.

I know I could simply run profiles from each of these machines locally but it makes organization and maintenance of the backup strategy unnecessarily complex and distributed.

Ok, I'll shut up now... I know I've posted alot of questions today! Rolling Eyes Shocked
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
1) vss cannot be initiated for a network machine/share right? only works for the local machine

Correct, it's a limitation of the Windows Volume Shadow functionality.

Quote:
2) what permissions can I safely give the windows system folders on the source network shares to allow transfer of these files? I know that without vss many of these files may trigger open errors anyway... Is there a way to safely transfer these files?

Only work around I can think of is to use an imaging program or a local copy of vv on these machines to copy these folders elsewhere on the target machine first, then copy these folders to the backup storage from the centralized vv server.

I know I could simply run profiles from each of these machines locally but it makes organization and maintenance of the backup strategy unnecessarily complex and distributed

Yes, you could create an image locally and then have ViceVersa working out of that. Or is it possible to schedule the creation of a shadow copy on the local machine and then have ViceVersa work out of that shadow copy? e.g. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779652%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

thanks
---
www.tgrmn.com
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Steviebone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, interesting reading... I will assimilate this good information and test the idea... get back here after
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum