Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

General Setup Question

jwleonard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: General Setup Question Reply with quote

Can VV Pro be easily used to sync file between two desktops and two laptops over a home network that is a workgroup not a domain? I am currently using another sync product, but it doesn't handle any of the computers not being present. What I want to do is have the program running on the main desktop with access to shared files on all other computers and then sync selected files/folders. If a computer isn't available (Turned off or out of the area) I want it to simply ignore it and sync the remaining computers. I see how to make it ignore missing computers but I don't see how to add multiple targets. ie. if I have computers 1,2,3,&4 and want to sync all the favorites folders (just an example) with one profile and at one time, how would I configure vise versa; or atleast can it be done? Thanks
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in VV PRO there is the option to ignore a source or folder in a multifolder project if not accessible.

You can setup 1 profile with Synchronization method in VV on the main desktop like
A->B
A->C
A->D

if a change happen to V it is copied to A.
Note that when a profile contains multi folders, each pair is sequentially processed, so first A->B then A->C then A->D, but they are all compared at the same time. So if a change happen to B, it is replicated to A, but only the next time you run the profile it is the copied from A to C and from A to D. That's because a new scna is needed to "pick" the changes to A.

Otherwise, you could setup 3 profiles and run them sequentially. VVEngine is a new tool for VV (available in Beta) that provides advanced handling of multiple profiles. You can find it on this forum.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum