Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

New synchronization method

Adequat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: New synchronization method Reply with quote

Only files that exist in both source and destination should be considered. Missing or added files should be ignored.

Reason for this: I have a "main" folder A, and a secondary folder B. B is a subset of A. Sometimes I want to update files in B, and have the file in A updated accordingly, or reciprocally. But I want to ignore all missing files in B.
xionoix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain in more detail. Cause I think you can do this with existing features of Windows and ViceVersa.
Adequat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very simple example:

Source:
c:\MyFolder\
contains:
a.txt
b.txt
c.txt

Destination:
d:\MyFolder\
contains:
a.txt
b.txt
d.txt

Then only "a.txt" and "b.txt" should be checked for differences. "c.txt" and "d.txt" should be ignored all together, because not present in *both* folders. In other words, no file to add or remove by VV, just files to possibly update.
xionoix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not use filters?
efredham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: New Sync Method Reply with quote

I would like such a feature also. Using a filter would be fine if there were a small number of files, but if you are dealing about large directory structures, that would be a huge pain.

Take the situation:
- You have multiple computers using a common directory structure, but the contents of the directories on each computer may not be the same. There are files that are common on all or some of the various computers. Common files may be added and removed.
- You want to sync the common files on the various computers with a common server.
- You don't want to sync the the non-common files and end up replicate them to the various computers.

Eric
Adequat

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not use filters? Because as Eric says, for large directory structures, that would be a huge pain.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , there is no synchronization method for it, but you could do this manually by selecting to view (in the comparison window) only newer / older files and then using the existing synchronization method. ViceVersa synchronizes only visible files in the comparison window.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum