Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Mac OS X Version?

mmleinen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Mac OS X Version? Reply with quote

I do a lot with both windows, linux and mac os x. Linux is only used as my server, but I have windows and os x clients. If you could create an os x client that would make it a perfect world.

Thanks,
RL
ChuckW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Mac OS X Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a new mac and love the software, I would like to see a mac OS X version as well!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the impression that TGRMN are enthusiastic about doing versions for either OS X or Linux although I may be wrong.

I wonder how well VVPro would work in a virtual machine? Say you installed W2K or WXP as a virtiual machine using Parallels or VMware (forthcoming for OS X) and stripped the OS down to the bare necessities plus VVPro, how well would it work? With VMware you'd be able to carry around the virtual machine on a USB drive and run it on OSX, Windows, or Linux using VMware's free VM Player.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, ViceVersa is written in C++ and porting the code to another OS would take as much work as rewriting the program from scratch... a very long time! Sad wonder if indeed it would be possible to run VV in a simulated OS with WMWare, that would be a nice workaround!
http://www.compareandmerge.com
qukza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution to the problem posed by the original poster might be rsync which will work on all three platforms. My understanding is that rsync is powerful but most of the functionality is only available through the command line, although an Internet search reveals a number of basic GUI front-ends for different OSes. If you are using OSX or Linux you probably already have rsync as part of the base OS.

With regard to virtual machines here's a VMware solution for creating disk image backups over a network, although they also mention that one could set up a similar type of machine using rsync. So maybe one could set up a Windows VVPro VM that would work this way. I think it would be worth TGRMN's time exploring how a user might utilize VM functionality in this way and, if it works, providing some type of documentation on how to do it.

Maybe another another option is not "rewriting the program from scratch" but just writing a VVPro look-alike front-end for rsync. Synchronization tools for Windows seem to be a dime a dozen (although lots of them aren't that good) but quality sync tools for Linux and OS X with good GUIs seem to be rare.
idrinkdeodorant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at DeltaWalker.

A lot more painful that VV, but it's the closest thing...
garrett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: VMWare with Win7 on Mac OSx to no avail with VVPro Reply with quote

I'm running the latest version of VMWare with Win7. I setup VVPro on the VM and used the VMWare settings to share all the appropriate folders (source and destinations) - VVPro scanned the files perfectly but any copies failed.

I verified all permissions and recognized it has something to do with the mappings. More problem solving to come but it isn't as easy as it should have been...
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, are you running Mac OSx inside the VMWare Virtual Machine on Win 7 ? thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
dekafilm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to Mac users on this topic: I have been successfully using VVPro 2.5 in Windows XP in Parallels on several Macs. The setup works -- and works much, much better at properly detecting file change triggers than Chronosync, which is Mac-specific. Both my Windows-side and Mac-side files are synched properly every time. There is a performance hit due to Parallels' overhead, but I couldn't tell you how much (in any case this was not a deal-breaker for me).

The one problem that you will encounter is that OSX allows characters in filenames that Windows does not (i.e.: colon, forward slash, backslash, number, double-quote, etc.). These files will not synch and will throw an error. If you are backing up to an NTFS drive, for example, this is a good thing!

Most of my machines are Leopard. I've just discovered my one Snow Leopard machine may be having issues in that the creation dates on that machine's files seem to be in a different format that also throws errors in VVPro (dates prior to 1970 or something to that effect). Not sure yet. I'm still exploring the forums for clues. But buyer beware.

In any case: VVpro 2.4 + WinXP + Parallels + OSX Leopard (but possibly not Snow Leopard) works VERY WELL for me.
dekafilm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dekafilm wrote:

Most of my machines are Leopard. I've just discovered my one Snow Leopard machine may be having issues in that the creation dates on that machine's files seem to be in a different format that also throws errors in VVPro (dates prior to 1970 or something to that effect). Not sure yet. I'm still exploring the forums for clues. But buyer beware.

UPDATE: the issues was NOT caused by VVPro nor by Snow Leopard. It was a LaCie Ethernet Disk mini, whose realtime clock firmware had become corrupted, that ruined some of my files' date stamps. VVPro does indeed work fine on Parallels.
Jacob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: VMware ViceVersa Pro Mac OSx Reply with quote

Sorry to say but ViceVersa Pro will not work with Fusion 5 Windows 7 Mac Lion. It will not recognize the external hard drives. It will recognize and "see" only what is in Windows 7. I too am disappointed Sad
Adequat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Recommendation Reply with quote

If like me you had regularly network issues between Mac and Windows, I recommend this inexpensive Mac product that solves all (and almost double network speed transfer with VV)...
DAVE at thursby dot com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum