Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

VV Pro v5 loses network connection and doesn't retry

mbarnstijn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: VV Pro v5 loses network connection and doesn't retry Reply with quote

V5 build 5005, x64

I was running VV, using replicate, to recreate the contents of an old Source NAS to a new and larger Target NAS. The NAS are both direct connected to my workstation using dedicated 10G ethernet network cards.

I estimate it would have taken about seven (7!) days just for the comparison of 110 TB using date/time/CRC.

After about four days of the comparison phase I did a stupid thing. I thought I would correct a spelling mistake in the name of the Target NAS, a Synology. It's a local name, I thought. I was wrong. The Synology restarted all the network links. The comparison continued, but in the log I could see that VV couldn't find any of the folders/files on the Synology after the network link restart. However, my workstation could browse the Synology on the direct ethernet link, so Windows was having no issue. Just VV.

I suspect that VV isn't trying to reestablish the network link on each comparison read attempt.

Is there anything you need from me to debug this fault? I'm going to continue the comparison until it ends, to completely build the date/time/CRC database for the Source NAS so that the next comparison will be a bit faster...

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

--michael
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, during comparison ViceVersa will not change the source/target paths, you would need to stop the comparison, change paths and restart. If you use CRC comparison, make sure that you enable the multi-threaded comparison in profile settings -> performance , it will be much faster.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
mbarnstijn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Target NAS paths did not change names. Only the name of the machine was changed, not the Target's DNS name or IP address.

I was accessing the target and source NAS both with direct IP addressing, not DNS name, so the change I made during the VV Comparison did not affect the target path or file names.

Many hours later I happened to read one of the files on the Target NAS at the same workstation running VV. Suddenly the VV comparison process was able to see paths and files on the Target again, and the errors for being unable to find the folder or file on the Target went away.

Yes, I have multi-threaded comparison turned on. It definitely improves performance!!

Thanks,

--michael
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum