Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Any way to delete files that are identical in two folders

Neurocrash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Any way to delete files that are identical in two folders Reply with quote

I want to identify what has changed between two directories, and delete everything else in one of them. I am wondering if Vice Versa can assist with this.

The application is that I would like to make a backup of the changes to a directory when I manually install a bunch of game mods. The first directory would be a copy of the stock game install, and the second would be a copy of the modded game. The game is Starfield, and at this time, the mod managers do not correctly manage many of the mods, so they have to be installed manually, and the installation is easily broken when mods are updated by the mod manager since it is unaware of the manually installed mods.

I am wondering if there is any way to compare two directories, identify any files that are identical (the stock game files), and delete those from the second directory (backup of modded game). The result would be a directory that contains only files added or changed by mods.

Thanks!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use ViceVersa to compare two directories [with subdirectories], then select all files that are identical and delete them from one side only. You will be left with all files that are different. File comparison can happen using CRC / SHA as well not just timestamp / size.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Neurocrash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Oh ok, I was thinking that I needed to choose one of the sync methods and didn't consider doing it the way you describe. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum