Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Protecting Folder or File from being Erased, Moved or Update

ldb20151

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Protecting Folder or File from being Erased, Moved or Update Reply with quote

I conduct multiple, regular backups of a large media RAID array using VV Pro (4&5). I conduct the backups using a mirroring operation so the backup drives can instantly replace the failed primary drive with minimal effort. I've been doing this successfully for almost 15-years. Using my PRIMARY RAID Drive to create TWO Independent RAID Drive Copies via Vice Versa, I've avoided two major catastrophes. RAID arrays are wonderful things but should only be trusted as far as you can throw them. As a result, I'm very dedicated to regular, verified backups.

However, as my backup RAID systems have grown in capability, it would be nice to be able to mirror the media drive to the backup unit without necessarily altering all files on the destination drive. The drive I'm using for the backup destination is now very large and capable of supporting backups from several sources as long as I can prevent the backups from interfering with one another. Note Vice Versa and Windows copy are generally the two methods used to add files to the destination drive, most is done by VV.

Can I use the File/Folder Filter capability to designate specific files or folders on the destination drive and tell Vice Versa to leave them alone. Basically to lock these files/folders, while still using the backup/mirror function? Is there another way or a better way to lock protect these folders from accidental alteration? I'm looking for checks and balances to protect these files.

v/r,
Larry
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when files/folders are filtered out in a profile, then they are never changed, overwritten, copied etc by ViceVersa. Another option would be to have a different target for each source, or also a rotating backup e.g. each month to a different target using folder variables.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum