Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Questions regarding use

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Questions regarding use Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to mirror two large drives and came across this. While I prefer standard, real-time mirroring, there's not a good solution for doing so in Windows, so syncing seems to be the only option. I'm mainly interested in how it compares to FreeFileSync, which is not only free, but open-source and works very well. So ViceVersa would have to really bring something additional that FFS doesn't to be worth the additional cost, though if it does and it works well it would probably be worth it.

AFAICT, FFS's RealTimeSync has an important feature VV doesn't, which is the ability to set a delay before syncing changes. This would both prevent a sync slowing things down while trying to work as well as the syncing of a temporary file or a file that's created, then renamed, then modified, for example, plus it would allow a time buffer in case a file is accidentally deleted to be able to recover it before the sync deletes it on the second drive. Does VV have similar functionality? If so, does it have the same limitations of RTS:

If multiple changes happen at the same time, only the path of the first file is written to variable %changed_file%.

While RealTimeSync is executing the command line, monitoring for changed files is temporarily inactive.

RealTimeSync relies on receiving change notifications from the operating system. In some cases it just doesn't receive any, e.g. a network path with badly-written/incomplete driver implementation. These buggy drivers often do not fail with an error code, but just do nothing.

Also, does it use, or can it be configured to use, memory or SSD cache, so instead of writing to disk 1 only to have to read from it to mirror/sync the data to disk 2, it could just write to disk 2 from the cache? My main concern with using syncing instead of true mirroring is all the additional reading necessary.

Can it sync to a drive that's not assigned a letter?

And how does it handle VeraCrypt volumes? If I'm syncing drive 1 to 2, and I open a VC volume contained on drive 1, which then becomes its own drive, and modify files inside the container, normal mirroring (RAID style) handles this because all changes are written to each simultaneously, as if they're the same drive. Since VV works differently, I'm assuming it would have to sync the entire VC volume, which could take a long time for a large volume if even a single file inside is changed. Is that correct?

Finally, there's an issue on the registration page, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in a product I'm considering entrusting my data to. When using a 32-character password, it errors saying you can't use a password greater than 32 characters. Last I checked, 32 !> 32. I had to knock it down to 31-characters to get it to work. Not a big deal, but frustrating to have it fail and complain that I'm doing something wrong when I'm not.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for your interest in ViceVersa.

Please have a look at the VVEngine profile scheduler for real-time sync on file change detection:

https://www.tgrmn.com/web/vvengine/vvengine.htm

Yes, you can set a delay. You can set the amount of seconds of inactivity to wait, after the first file change is detected, before VVEngine starts a profile. You can also set the total maximum time to wait in seconds.
For example, the default values are 3 and 10, which means that VVEngine will look for a period of inactivity of 3 seconds before starting a profile, after the first file change is detected, but limited to a total maximum of 10 seconds. If after 10 seconds, there is no period of inactivity of 3 seconds, VVEngine will start the profile anyway.

Quote:
If so, does it have the same limitations of RTS:

No, there are no limitations.

Quote:
Also, does it use, or can it be configured to use, memory or SSD cache, so instead of writing to disk 1 only to have to read from it to mirror/sync the data to disk 2, it could just write to disk 2 from the cache? My main concern with using syncing instead of true mirroring is all the additional reading necessary.

ViceVersa can mirror but does not use a SD card.

Quote:
Can it sync to a drive that's not assigned a letter?

Directly to a volume path? Yes

Quote:
And how does it handle VeraCrypt volumes? If I'm syncing drive 1 to 2, and I open a VC volume contained on drive 1, which then becomes its own drive, and modify files inside the container, normal mirroring (RAID style) handles this because all changes are written to each simultaneously, as if they're the same drive. Since VV works differently, I'm assuming it would have to sync the entire VC volume, which could take a long time for a large volume if even a single file inside is changed. Is that correct?

Yes, the whole VC file is copied/mirrored in that case by ViceVersa.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum