Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

last accessed timestamp not preserved for FOLDERS

anmac1789

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: last accessed timestamp not preserved for FOLDERS Reply with quote

I know last accessed timestamp of files being copied is preserved. But, this is only for files. I have tested copying folders from one folder to another subfolder, and the last accessed timestamp is not preserved. Even when copying from NTFS to FAT32 or the other way around, last accessed timestamp is not preserved. Is there any way to have all 3 timestamps preserved especially for folders?
Alice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to this :

Quote:
https://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict6120.htm
anmac1789

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that…just the focus is on the last date accessed not being preserved for folders. It works for files just not folders. Also since we are on the same topic, how come when I delete a file inside a parent folder, the date modified and date accessed changes to the current time? Is there a way to prevent this change from occurring?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also since we are on the same topic, how come when I delete a file inside a parent folder, the date modified and date accessed changes to the current time? Is there a way to prevent this change from occurring?

This is the default behavior for the Windows NTFS file system, not sure if there is an option to disable this in Windows.
anmac1789

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the default behavior for the Windows NTFS file system, not sure if there is an option to disable this in Windows.
I have tested on a FAT32 formatted USB, copying folders and files to this USB using viceversa but, the time difference between the date created and date modified differs by 2 seconds (which im assuming is the time difference when a file/folder is initiating a copy to when its finished) i dont know fully but is my reasoning on the right track or no ? Thanks
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an incompatibility between FAT and NTFS file systems. FAT and NTFS are two file systems used by the Windows operating system. FAT, (V)FAT and FAT(32) maintain a file's timestamp to an accuracy of two seconds whereas NTFS is accurate to the millisecond. So when files are copied from an NTFS drive to a FAT drive or viceversa the timestamps can change by up to 2 seconds but the files remain the same. With ViceVersa you can work around this issue by activating the option "Ignore up to 2 seconds difference between files": all files with a timestamp difference up to 2 seconds will be considered as having the same timestamp.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
anmac1789

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with transferring folders and files from android to PC rather than within the C drive itself or across different external drives because the current version already transfers files and folders accurately.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum