Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Shadow copy failed with E_UNEXPECTED

slither

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Shadow copy failed with E_UNEXPECTED Reply with quote

I get the following message in my log file:
"2006-04-25 04:25:28 : [Volume Shadow Copy creation failed for C:. E_UNEXPECTED - Verify that the Windows Volume Shadow Service is enabled on this computer] Error."

I am using windows XP, and my system drive "C:" was formatted with NTFS. I checked my two services "Volume Shadow Copy" and "MS Shadow Software Profider" start parameter is set to "Automatic", and both are running. If I right-click on my drive "C:" there is an option "Create ViceVersa snapshot" and "Create ViceVersa snapshot (CRC)" that show up and seem to work properly. My system is XP PRO with SP2 and all updates were applied.

Any idea how I can fix the problem?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You should check the Windows Event Log (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) to see if there are any errors in there related to VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service).

Also from the command line (click Start->Run type cmd and press OK) type the following:

vssadmin list writers
This lists registered writers and their status. They should all be reported as stable. If some aren't listed as stable then there may be a problem with your Windows installation.

vssadmin list providers
There should be a list of at least one entry (MS Software Shadow Copy provider). If none are listed then there may be problem with your Windows installation.

thanks[/b]
http://www.compareandmerge.com
slither

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the event viewer logged a VSS error reporting that some of my MS SQL databases were not "simple". After detaching those databases the shadow copy worked properly. I still have to figure out what the problem is with those databases, but this is another subject.
Thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum