Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Huge files cause missed copying

MarkC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

Have used VVPro from the start - been very reliable. Sync 64,000 files to backup weekly for years. Problem started when .pst file grew to 34.666GB. Works fine with this excluded, but when it's in scope copy seems to go in a flash and this and many other files are not copied. Please sort, I want to keep using VVPro.
P.S. Not to to with V4, it started a month ago on V3 when the .pst file must have crossed a limit. VVPro says "unlimited file size"
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange, can you copy that file manually in Windows Explorer?
Does it work if you enable "Use Windows Native File Copy" in the ViceVersa profile settings -> performance? thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
MarkC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

No problems copying files in Explorer. Windows copy is ticked.
That's not really the problem - with the huge file as part of the items to be synched from source in "backup - mirror Source to Target") - even though that file is identical in source and target - it stops some other files being copied across. Worse, these files don't show up as needing to be copied in refresh lists. I only found out by accident that some files were not copied for some time. including my operational .pst file. Horrifying.
Further experiment: Did a backup again today - some files not copied but Comparison window says "source and target are identical". No they are not.
Came out of comparison window. Excluded the huge file from the backup - "refreshed lists" - and hey presto - it shows the several files which were not copied, despite previously showing source and target as identical.
I also slightly reduced the file size to 33,934,353,408 from 35,498,697,728 and all worked fine. Looks like some word length in the comparison section is not long enough?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, what type of drive are source / target where the file is stored on both sides? Windows version? When the issue appears, are all the timestamps matching in VV for all files including size? thanks
MarkC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

Problem exhibited on V3 Win 10 - only appeared once the huge file grew beyond a certain size. Also same on V4. Machine upgraded to Win 11- just the same.
I have a backup machine with a copy of current week, one week ago and two weeks ago. First two drives are M2 SSDs and the third is a SATA hard disk.
Also exhibited when backup up from laptop to backup machine over gigabit ethernet.
Spotted because the date on my working .pst file was not being updated on target machine due to the simple presence of the huge file on both drives. Comparison says all identical. Take the huge file out of scope, go back in to compare and the outdated files show up on target. And mirror backup all works.
And, errrrm, Allway Sync works perfectly with the huge file in scope by the way.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I will test ViceVersa with a huge file of the same size.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we were able to copy and compare files of 80 GB with v4 on Win 10, could you maybe send some screenshots of the issue to support via e-mail? That could help pin-point this problem. thanks!
MarkC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

The issue seems to be caused by the huge file as one of the total of 90,000 other files. Works fine with the large number of files without the huge one. Also works fine if I just choose the folder with the .pst files in it to synch - it then shows up the ones not synched and synchs fine.
MarkC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

Hi - more info - total size of files being synched is 221.4GB. 96,000 files.
I have screenshots of the comparison showing the outlook.pst file needing updating is missing from comparison.
A screenshot of a simple profile comparison of just the folder with the .pst file in it, showing that the target is a week out of date.
A screenshot of the Explorer folders showing the .pst files need updating. If you contact me I can email these to you.[/img]
MarkC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Huge files cause missed copying Reply with quote

More info: Just did a backup. Huge file and the .pst need updating from the comparison. . Huge file is smaller now - Ran backup. I watched it copy the huge file and the .pst file OK. Backup completed. Comparison showed source and target identical.
Wondered why there were not more files copied across, I've been busy!
Refreshed comparison again immediately. All the smaller files (about 40) which needed updating showed as still out of sync. Ran the backup again and these were copied. Hope this helps. Ready to bail if we can't sort this. I have to trust my backup solution.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these smaller files in the same folder or scattered all over? Could you send screenshots via e-mail to support @ tgrmn.com ? thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum