Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

W10 - 'Enabling Win32 Long Paths' - Any issues?

Old Fogey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: W10 - 'Enabling Win32 Long Paths' - Any issues? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would particularly appreciate a reply from TGRMN. Thanks.

I am a very happy user using VVPro3-64 for my backups and other things - but I want to avoid making a mistake if I elect to enable a Windows 10 setting : Enable Win32 Long Paths.
My major reason for asking here is that I value VVPro and need to be aware of any potential issues. I am concerned in case I cause incompatibilities to either new backups or old restores, or even corruption and worse.

I am getting on in age, and I'm no expert, so if I proceeded to enable Enable Win32 Long Paths. I also want to take any advice that TGRMN might want to give, as this may have been tried already, or issues caused that I have not thought of - e.g. incompatibilities, slower performance, security. Even issues that don't affect VVPro-64!

INFORMATION
I am using Windows 10 Pro 21H1 as at May 2021.
I have two drives in my PC. C: is an SSD and D: is an HDD where I hold my main work files.
I also backup onto other USB external HDD drives, everything formatted as NTFS.

MAIN ISSUE

Although nearly all D: files have a path lengths under 251 characters, I do not want to change the names and I wish to continue nesting a large number of large files even deeper, with the effect of exceeding the limit. I estimate my future max. path lengths will then be around 400-500
Since I am using the W10 Pro version (not W10 Home), I intend to enable the Enable Win32 Long Paths. setting in the Group Policy.

SUMMARY

I want to ensure that this does not cause any issues with existing backups, or with making newer backups on D drive or onto the external drives.
If I go ahead, would I continue to use the 'usual' method for prefacing folders? e.g. using use the prefix "\\?\" ??
Any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Question
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for your post.

The only difference when enabling the option "Enable Win32 Long Paths" in Windows is that you no longer need to use "\\?\" for the prefix of paths to enable long paths: https://www.tgrmn.com/web/kb/item31.htm
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum