Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Question about snapshots and rescan

charlesH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Question about snapshots and rescan Reply with quote

Hello

I own VV3. I need help with using snapshots. I can chat realtime or take a call if that is easier.

I am doing a compare of 2 drives (Z and Y) against the backup drive X (Mybook drive)

But as I said this takes forever to read the target drive file set each time.

I have saved a VSN file image of drive X (Mybook Target.vsn) but I can’t seem to figure out how to use it in a compare and how to update after the backup occurs for the next day.

My Target drive has 1.6MM files. So doing a compare takes 3-4 hours (yes I know I need a faster drive). But it doesn’t make sense to have to reread the target every time.

So how do I work around that?

First- I don’t know how to do a compare a VSN against my source. This dialog doesn’t seem to allow me to select the VSN file as the Target that I want to compare against my source (Z Drive) to.

Second – If I can get the source to compare to the VSN target stored file after I update the target drive. Don’t I have to remake the VSN file EVERY TIME in order for it to have the latest snapshot of Target?

How do I automate that?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is a dedicated, separate option for automating no rescan, it is in profile settings -> performance -> no rescan options

The no-rescan options can speed up the comparison process significantly, especially with slow source or target folders, for example over the network, internet, external disks, or VPN.

Do Not Rescan: This option instructs ViceVersa not to rescan the source or the target folders each time. When this option is activated, source or target folders are only scanned the first time the profile is run or if a condition below is true. After the first run, ViceVersa assumes that the files in the folders selected not to be rescanned have not changed since the last execution: their content is loaded from the tracking database instead. Therefore this option requires the tracking database to be enabled.

The 'no rescan' option is normally used with the backup or replication methods where source files change in between profile runs but target files do not and for this reason, a full rescan is not needed each time. Using this option can speed-up the comparison part of the process significantly, especially with slow source(s) or target(s), for example over the network, internet, external disks or VPN.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum