Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Sync from read-only media

JC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Sync from read-only media Reply with quote

Greetings!

I've got a work around to this problem below, but I suspect there's a better way to do so (why I'm here!)

Goal:
Syncing files between laptop at school and desktop at home so I can leave the lap at school and only carry a DVD-RW back and forth. Ideally I'd use VV to sync a folder (source) to the DVD (target) on the laptop, take the DVD home, use the DVD as the source and a folder on the desktop computer as the target.

Problem:
Works fine, except, anything on a DVD or CD is a read-only entity while it's on that media, so VV faithfully carries that attribute along when syncing the DVD to the desktop computer- i.e., all my files on the desktop are read-only so I can't modify them without 'save-as' and double-up my files and space.

Non-elegant solution:
My work-around is to save the DVD contents to my hard drive first, and sync from there to my target. Reverse and repeat on the other computer. Slow and cumbersome. Like I said, I bet there's a better way, I just don't know it.

Thanks!
JC
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VV copies all the file attributes, does not currently have an option not to do that. I think we should add that to our to-do list! Smile

In the meantime I would like to suggest another workaround, maybe easier. Use the Attrib command. See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/attrib.mspx?mfr=true for more info on this command.

Attrib can change/add/aremove file attributes for files. You could put this in a batch file and run it at the end of your VV job (see profile settings to run a script after execution)

Attrib -r c:\yourpath
is what you are looking for I think, it removes the read-only flag.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
JC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the 'attrib -r' in various configs, both as a VV script/batch and as a stand-alone command, but that was a no-go (not that computer savvy).

While monkey-ing around, I rediscovered that right-clicking the target folder brings up a menu with 'properties' as a selection option. Doing that and clicking the 'general' tab gives me the option to de-select the read only attribute (what you suggested in the first place- this is just a more GUI approach for JC-scriptless here!)

Thanks!
JC
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum