Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

SERVER 2019 FREEZING

ivancalamelli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: SERVER 2019 FREEZING Reply with quote

a strange coincidence:
after updating vvpro 3003 the windows 2019 server has random freezes from 2 in 3 hours to 2 in 12 days.

this had never happened before
have you already had other news of similar problems?

I'm also using 3-session vv engine with realtime upgrade target

thank you
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the changes in ViceVersa PRO build 3003 are significant enough to freeze the server... do you have profile logging enabled in the ViceVersa profiles?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
ivancalamelli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment I don't have enough data to say that vvengine causes this problem.
to tell the truth, I have been using a new server with windows 2019 essentials (+ viveversa 3) for 6 months as a simple file server to which 10 users are connected.
in addition to the operating system is installed vvengine and vice versa pro.
(the old server machine 2003 + vice versa 2.5)

the coincidence of the blocks that I had (for now 9 in 5 months) is that it always occurs at times where the backup profiles are active.
never at other times or days when the backup is not performed (holidays).
now I will try to make backups in non-working hours to check if this problem still occurs.

I have already changed the network card, the memory, tested disks and ram, the network cable, no temperature error, power, disk, memory, no blue screen, no error on the windows registers if not the reset that I am forced to to do...

thanks for the usual prompt reply
ivan
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViceVersa and VVEngine are just user programs , not kernel ... they should not be able to crash or freeze the whole system, unless something else is wrong in the system itself:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/gettingstarted/user-mode-and-kernel-mode#:~:text=A%20processor%20in%20a%20computer,components%20run%20in%20kernel%20mode.

<< When you start a user-mode application, Windows creates a process for the application. The process provides the application with a private virtual address space and a private handle table. Because an application's virtual address space is private, one application cannot alter data that belongs to another application. Each application runs in isolation, and if an application crashes, the crash is limited to that one application. Other applications and the operating system are not affected by the crash.

In addition to being private, the virtual address space of a user-mode application is limited. A processor running in user mode cannot access virtual addresses that are reserved for the operating system. Limiting the virtual address space of a user-mode application prevents the application from altering, and possibly damaging, critical operating system data. >>

---
www.tgrmn.com
ivancalamelli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: SERVER 2019 FREEZING Reply with quote

I continued to investigate the problem and came to this conclusion: by eliminating the option that uses Volume Shadow Copy to copy the files in use, I no longer had server crashes (I hope this is not the case).
investigating the network I then saw that many backup programs have this problem of random server lockups using Volume Shadow Copy (on server 2019-2012-2008).
I don't know if it's a Microsoft problem, but maybe it's a clue to try to understand what happens.
for now I continue to keep VSS disabled and I hope you can replicate the problem to understand what happens.
good job!
ivan
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes, that could be possible. Then it would be a Windows problem, e.g. server freezes when programs request a shadow copy of the drive. Also it could be that you installed software which provides Shadow Copy Writers (customization / add-on to the basic shadow copy) and those are creating the issue. Is there enough space on disk?
thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
ivancalamelli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: SERVER 2019 FREEZING Reply with quote

good morning,
165 gb available on the system disk (disk size 250 gb)
650 gb data disc available (disk size 1 tb)
1 tb backup disc available (disk size 2 tb)
32 GB ram
in addition to the operating system, the only software present on the server is vice versa and VVengine
the problem is random usually 1 per week but I also had 2 events within 1 hour of each other.
we often work with PDF for printing up to 1gb in size or upload complete books with 3-8,000 files for 8gb to the server
during real time backups the files occupied by other users are usually only 10-15 max

ivan
ivancalamelli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: SERVER 2019 FREEZING Reply with quote

good morning,
any news to solve this problem?

regards
ivan
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum