Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Move files - leave a shortcut in source pointing to dest...

Alice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Move files - leave a shortcut in source pointing to dest... Reply with quote

Hi, would be handy to have an option to 'create a shortcut in the original location pointing to the new location' of moved folders/files...

Even better if I could do that just for certain file extensions, folder/file names only Smile
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alice, but what happens if the destination file moves or it is deleted and the shortcut points to an empty location ?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Alice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I've tried to ask our Business Units to archive and remove data from their shared folders which realistically they don't use over a reasonable period, but to no avail. They just won't do it. Many Units have 500,000 to a 1,000,000 files each.

So, and in the interest of expediency, I am doing this for them based on file statistics. Files which have not been modified in the last two years are moved into a ‘mirrored’ folder structure within their shared drive named ‘Archive’. All others remain where they are and are considered as ‘active’.

Leaving behind a 'shortcut' to a moved file which is now in the 'Archive' folder would cause less alarm for staff and make it easier to identify which files were affected at a glance.

I take your point re what if the files move again....but that's a problem for another day ! Once staff get used to their new look shared drive (with a lot less files in it) I would likely remove the shortcuts to tidy up Smile
Alice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe VV could leave behind a 'stub' file in place of MOVED files ?

So a 'marker' file to show a file has been deleted (ie moved) or maybe we could write the path/file names that have been MOVED into a separate log file that's left in the Source ? That could essentially be a 'part-export' from the VV.log file(s) that is appended to a single 'movement' .log with the dates of transfer.

Just trying to help our support teams/the staff so that they know when a file was present, but no longer is, because it was deemed obsolete via file statistics.

Could be an interesting addition to VV and take it into the realms of assisting with the 'management of the storage lifecycle'.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum