Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Encryption in VVPro Version 3

jpolito1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Encryption in VVPro Version 3 Reply with quote

I have VVPro version 2.5. I have identical folders on each of my computers that contain personal information. They are encrypted with Windows Encrypted Fle System (EFS). When Windows supported the Homegroup feature, I was able to synchronize the folders with no problem using VVPro. When Homegroup went away, VVPro refused to synchronize these folders at all. Subsequently, I got a third computer and a NAS, and I wanted to synchronize these folders over all three computes and on the NAS.

A synchronization program that came with the NAS allowed me to do this using an encrypted share on the NAS. When I change a file on one computer, it is synched to the NAS and then pushed out to the other two computers. However, the pushed files are stored on the other two computers un-encrypted (even though they are stored in a folder that has the encryption attribute set)!! Also, this program is not always as reliable as VVPro.

Now with VVPro 3, there are features that make it easier to synch all the computers with the NAS, and V3 has some new encryption features. So, I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to V3.

My questions are:
1. Will V3 allow the EFS to encrypt changed files when it pulls them from the NAS to the other computers?
2. If not, then if I use VVPro's encryption feature on the Sources (the computers) can I use those files (e.g. open then in Excel) without going through a decryption/encryption cycle before and after opening and closing the files?

Thanks.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think it depends on the kind of encryption you need.
For instance, there are some removable drives that offer great encryption features like the Samsung T3 / T5. You set a password then when you connect the drives you need the password to access. Once the password is entered they become normally accessible files for all program also ViceVersa PRO. We use some of them for our backups/replications.

I imagine the NAS you have will offer a similar feature.

When you enable ViceVersa encryption then ViceVersa will encrypt each file content, and you will need ViceVersa to decrypt them before they become accessible.

With Windows Encryption there are possibilities again, please see:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/encrypt-windows-files/

thanks

----
www.tgrmn.com
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum