Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Limit Bandwidth Doesn't Work?

Aholics.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Limit Bandwidth Doesn't Work? Reply with quote

Why is it that the limit bandwidth option doesn't seem to be doing much of anything? Please see the image below. Painfully obvious that it's not keeping traffic within bounds, and I can confirm this using bandwidth monitors on various remote servers these files are being pulled from.

Is this calculation being done over time, or on a per-file basis, or some other method? Either way, it seems to be it needs some adjustments.

Thanks for any insight.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth is calculated every X seconds .... BUT: sometimes the Windows cache gets in the middle Very Happy
Are you copying files from/to network? Are you on Win Server 2003?
Anyway, try flush the option flush buffer every write (also in the performance/bandwidth tab) which works around the Windows cache.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Aholics.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:
Bandwidth is calculated every X seconds .... BUT: sometimes the Windows cache gets in the middle Very Happy
Are you copying files from/to network? Are you on Win Server 2003?
Anyway, try flush the option flush buffer every write (also in the performance/bandwidth tab) which works around the Windows cache.

Hi, finally got around to doing some testing with this. Yes, it's over the Internet using a UNC path through a VPN tunnel. I am on a Win2k server, the remote server is Win2k3. I tried the "flush buffer every write" option and this is the bandwidth graph I got:

The left side of the graph is multiple small files. The long flat stretch is a few very large files. The large files seem to hit the mark just right. However, when there are smaller files you can see the system spiking (and maintaining) well over my 40k limit I had set. I'm sure they would have gone higher if my firewall didn't throttle them at the peaks.

Please note that this graph is over a 10 hour timespan!

You can see a little more detail on the spiking sections in the graph below:

Thanks for any thoughts...
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the average small file size in the example (for which bandwitdh limit does not work) is smaller than the ViceVersa buffer size (in the profile settings -> performance/execution), that could be the source of the problem... in that case try a very small buffer e.g. 1024 bytes.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Aholics.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a quick test, this seems to do the trick... I'll let ya know how the next big backup goes. Thanks again for the great support, and great product. Very Happy
Aholics.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the system was much better at keeping the BW down after modifying the buffer size.

Thanks (again) for a great product!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum