Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

versioning, copying/what is fastest?

way2trivial

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: versioning, copying/what is fastest? Reply with quote

I have a SBS network, the server runs VVpro.
VVPro purchase was primarily to keep "my docs" current between the network lan users (which are stored on the server) and one user (me) who also has a desktop that's remotely away and connected via VPN.

it works great by the way.. every file change is replicated swiftly, I'm loving it..

My question is, I have it set to keep versions of docs that get overwritten, (which has saved my ass in the past) to a folder.. so I have mirrored files on
\\server\users\mydocs
\\remotepc\users\mydocs

when a new version gets done on \\remotepc\ the server archives (up to 4 versions) the existing version on \\server\versions\XX\XX\XX

my question is, when a new version gets done on \\server\ would it be quicker to tell VVPro to keep the old version (that's about to be overwritten) on the remotepc or the server.

Should I set my archive folder on remotepc or server?
if I set it on the server, obviously, the old file has to come from the remote location to the server (dependant on the uplink speed of the remote pc's connection) but if I set it on the remote pc- does the entire file have to travel both ways to be copied from \\remotepc\mydocs\aboutobereplace to \\remotepc\mydocs\version1of4?

am I making sense? I don't know if the versioning being on the remote location requires the file to travel to and from the server, or if they move stays local to the remote pc..
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest option is to have the archive folders on the same drive as their source / target, that is:

- source and archive folder for source on the same drive.
- target and archive folder for target on the same drive.

The new VV PRO 2 build 2010, released at http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict488.htm, has a new option to MOVE files to archive folders instead of COPYING them to the archive folders. Activating this option will make archiving very fast, because archive files can be renamed instead of copied again.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum