Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A few Questions from a registered user

superphoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: A few Questions from a registered user Reply with quote

Hi,

First let me say I think your software is wonderful so far, but I do have a few questions that I would like to ask:

1. I have a total of approximately 8 million files and am trying to synchronize them each night to a large firewire drives and to a remote server.

The directories are broken up in the following order 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
and then each one has a subdirectory with the same 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, etc... it goes down about 5 levels total

This allows the structure to grow well without overwhelming any one directory.

What i have done is at some point copied each top level over to a firewire drive but over time things have gotten a bit messy. The target drive has files the source does not (for now this is ok). Also some of the files with the right file name on the target drive is the wrong file. I would like to overwrite all the files that are not a match with the source drive on the target drive. Basically if file A is 100k on source and File A is 80 k on target, i want it to overwrite the target with file A on the source.

2. At some later point I want to delete all the files on the target drive that are not on the source drive. How could I run that safely to make sure it is only removing the files I really need removed? What mode do I use?

3. What mode can I use to compare files that have the same name and location in the directory structure but are not really matching files.

Can i overwrite the target files that do not match the sources file sizes etc... I need to create an absolute identical set without copying over all 8 million files at the same time

4. I need to know how the watch folder function works, as files are not added very quickly but there are thousands of subdirectories in the source drive, will this affect performance if i tell it to watch the source directory and copy only added files to the target. This would be ideal as we add files frequently but not in 1000's at once. It would give us an almost real time backup if it will not hugely affect server performance.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated as I am testing it in our corporate env and hope to recc it up the chain.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to overwrite all the files that are not a match with the source drive on the target drive. Basically if file A is 100k on source and File A is 80 k on target, i want it to overwrite the target with file A on the source.

Backup (Mirror Source to Target) overwrites older files in target with newer files in source, using timestamp.

Quote:
2. At some later point I want to delete all the files on the target drive that are not on the source drive. How could I run that safely to make sure it is only removing the files I really need removed? What mode do I use?

Backup (Mirror Source to Target) will delete files in target that are not in source. Click on "Preview" in the comparison window to preview which files are deleted, updated, etc.

Quote:
3. What mode can I use to compare files that have the same name and location in the directory structure but are not really matching files.
Can i overwrite the target files that do not match the sources file sizes etc... I need to create an absolute identical set without copying over all 8 million files at the same time

Backup (Mirror Source to Target) will "push" source onto the target and make target identical to source without changing source in any way.

Quote:
4. I need to know how the watch folder function works, as files are not added very quickly but there are thousands of subdirectories in the source drive, will this affect performance if i tell it to watch the source directory and copy only added files to the target. This would be ideal as we add files frequently but not in 1000's at once. It would give us an almost real time backup if it will not hugely affect server performance.

A Windows API is used. Monitoring does not have any performance impact, beside the fact that VVLauncher will start ViceVersa and Viceversa will run in the background as soon as files are changed. you could set VVLauncher to run every 10 min if file changes are detected.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum