Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Excluding Some Folders

Eclecticblogs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Excluding Some Folders Reply with quote

I am trying to replicate everything on a Drive to another Drive however I want to exclude 2 of the folders on the Source drive. Is there a way to do this?
Alice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the 'exclusion', one way would be to load your Profile then select menu options :

[File] / [Change Profile Settings...] / [Subfolder Filters]

(note - you may need to click on the 'more...' option for the [Subfolder Filters] option to be visible.)

when the 'Subfolder Filters' dialog box appears, maybe click on the small grey '?' icon at the bottom left of the dialog box for additional guidance.

Alternatively post your findings here and we can help further Smile
yk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I only wanted to sync 10 folders out of 100, can I just make 10 "include" filters? Or do I need to make 90 Exclude filters?
Alice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a few ways to 'include' just one 'set' of folders, maybe search this Forum and you'll see examples.

In its simplest form, select :

[File] / [Change Profile Settings...] / [Subfolder Filters] / 'Add' button / 'Include' Radio Button and then the 'Select Folder' yellow icon

now select the folder to include and click 'Ok'.

Repeat the above until all 10 folders you mention have a separate 'include' Filter entry for each folder.

Is there any way the folders could be logically linked to each other, eg they all start with the word 'Sales' ? If so then maybe a 'wildcard' could be used in the Filter entry.

Slightly different tack, but have a look here, this shows one way of 'Importing' a set of criteria for the Subfolder Filter option via a .txt file :

Quote:
http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict4967.htm
yk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that helped. a little cumbersome but it works.

so, i ran a backup, and during the backup there were errors. now my source says that there are more files than the target, but when i try to execute again to re-run the backup it says there are no files to be copied?

how would i go about getting the source and target to be identical?
Alice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would probably create a .txt file in the correct format for VV and 'Load...' / Import it to create my Subfolder Filters, or maybe you could run the 'Comparison' in VV, then highlight the first folder to be Included in the left-hand 'Source' window, right-click on the folder name and select 'Exclude Selected Folder(s)' on the resulting menu, repeat this until all 10 of your folders have been 'Excluded'.

Now change the 10 'Excludes' into 'Includes' by right-clicking on the left-hand 'Source' window and selecting 'Manage Include/Exclude Filters', click on the 'Subfolder Filters' option on the left of the dialog box, highlight the first folder in the list on the right of the dialog box and click the 'Edit' button, then select the 'Include' Radio Button, click 'Ok'. Repeat the last step for the remaining 9 entries.

I did ask if there was any way the folders could be logically linked to each other, eg they all start with the word 'Sales' ? If so then maybe a 'wildcard' could be used in the Filter entry which would simplify matters....

You said 'during the backup there were errors.' ... what were the errors ? Which Execution Method are you using... 'Backup (Mirror Source to Target)' ?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, in addition to Alice input, if you compare source and target visually (in the ViceVersa comparison window) you should be able to see all files side-by-side in source and target, and see files included / matching / excluded etc.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum