Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

using vice versa to backup two laptops over a network

nick_harambee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: using vice versa to backup two laptops over a network Reply with quote

hi

i have been experimenting with using vice versa pro to mirror some folders over a network and all works fine here.

now i am wondering whether it would be suitable for backing up the entire hard drive on two laptops onto an external hard drive. the main laptop would be physically connected to the backup drive, and the other laptop connected over a network. i presume that i would install vice versa pro on the laptop connected to the drive and configure everything from there. is this right?

i am thinking of a scenario whereby one of the hard drives on one of the laptops fails. would i then be able to install a new drive, install windows and vice versa pro, and then put the laptop back in its original state with all of the system files in the right place? essentially i am hoping to be able to replace retrospect as my backup program, with multiple snapshots/archives of the backup. will viceversa do all of this?

thanks

nick
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now i am wondering whether it would be suitable for backing up the entire hard drive on two laptops onto an external hard drive. the main laptop would be physically connected to the backup drive, and the other laptop connected over a network. i presume that i would install vice versa pro on the laptop connected to the drive and configure everything from there. is this right?

Best would be to install VV locally on both computers.

Quote:
i am thinking of a scenario whereby one of the hard drives on one of the laptops fails. would i then be able to install a new drive, install windows and vice versa pro, and then put the laptop back in its original state with all of the system files in the right place? essentially i am hoping to be able to replace retrospect as my backup program, with multiple snapshots/archives of the backup. will viceversa do all of this?

Yes, that is possible. You will need to activate VSS in the profile settings->advanced settings, in order to mirror "in-use" system file.
See Volume Shadow Copy article in the Knowledge Base on our website.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum