Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Can't copy MAIN FOLDERS?!!!

sam042955

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Can't copy MAIN FOLDERS?!!! Reply with quote

I just installed this program tonight because I'm in the process of backing up 4 TBs worth of movies and music. This week I manually copied 3.5TB just using Windows Explorer/Copy--Paste (Windows 7 64 bit Pro). I figured this would be a good time to try out VV Pro for the final .5TB. All I wanted to do was copy ONE folder with TWO sub folders holding 882 items/618 GB. Clear enough? ONE main folder and TWO sub folders. Does it get any simpler than that?

I opened the "Source" window and the "target" window. I highlighted the main folder I wanted to copy to the target folder, but it showed "0". The only way I could copy everything was to expand all the folders in the source window and then highlight all the individual files! What the heck? And I couldn't even find a SELECT ALL option. Not in any right click context menu or anywhere else. What kind of modern program (or ANCIENT program, for that matter) doesn't have a "SELECT ALL" right click option, ESPECIALLY for a program of this nature, WHICH COPIES FILES?!!!

And how is it even remotely possible that I was not simply able to select the MAIN FOLDER I wanted to copy, AND COPY IT?!!! Isn't this a COPYING PROGRAM?!!! Are you SERIOUS? You expect people to pay $60 for a copying program that can't even simply copy ONE FOLDER to a target drive? I don't think so. And if there is some way that I missed, it should definitely NOT be that obscure. The BEST I could come up with was to copy the two sub folders, then make the main folder I'd wanted to copy in the first place, then move the two sub folders into the main folder AFTER VV did its thing. That's just ridiculous.

Oh. And as far as the "great speed" for copying files that this program touts...I got the exact same speed using this program as I did using Windows Explorer: 40 MB/sec, +/-. No more, no less.

Finally, I noticed that the target drive was much more fragmented when using this program rather than just copying the files manually using Windows Explorer. That tacked on at least another 45 minutes to the whole process.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for evaluating ViceVersa PRO.

Sorry you were not satisfied with our program.

The select all option is in Lists -> Select -> All Objects in Source or All Objects in Target. Can also be accessed with CTRL+A and CTRL+B.

Copy-speed performance can be fine-tuned in profile settings -> performance.

Regarding fragmentation after a copy, it should be identical to a copy with Windows Explorer as files are copied sequentially.

thank you
http://www.compareandmerge.com
sam042955

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:
Hi, thank you for evaluating ViceVersa PRO.

Sorry you were not satisfied with our program.

The select all option is in Lists -> Select -> All Objects in Source or All Objects in Target. Can also be accessed with CTRL+A and CTRL+B.

Copy-speed performance can be fine-tuned in profile settings -> performance.

Regarding fragmentation after a copy, it should be identical to a copy with Windows Explorer as files are copied sequentially.

thank you
OK. I found the "Select All..." option off in some non-intuitive menu tree. But it STILL will not allow me to select the MAIN FOLDER! It STILL shows zero. And then when I try to compare what's in each sub folder of the source and the target folder, side by side...the left side goes blank until I scroll all the way down to the bottom -- it does not allow me to compare directly side by side what's in each identical sub folder.

And the fragmentation was NOT the same between this program and just the straight copy/paste in Windows. And it took 45 minutes or more to defrag what was a relatively small 618 GB transfer. I've transferred 1.2TB in one shot and only had to defrag for 4-5 minutes after the transfer was complete.

I'm sorry. I've used sync programs in the past and never had this much trouble. In fact, I never had any trouble at all. This program is clearly not for me. I love Bulk Rename Utility, and couldn't live without it. That's why I was eager to check out this program, even though I could use Freeware alternatives instead. (Which is what I'm going to have to end up doing because this program is clearly not working for me.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum