Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Remote agent

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Remote agent Reply with quote

I have a copy of VV pro 1.3.1 (yes, I know it's old, but I don't think this 'wish' is in the latest version) and, looking at it run, the time taken is in processing files on the remote server (I principally use it for synching files over a WAN - high speed. Ping times to remote server is around 15ms generally). So the job kicks off and scans the local folder in around 25 minutes (200,000+ files) but then takes over two hours to scan the remote folder. A similar situation occurs when the actual copying/moving/deleting kicks in.

Seems to me that you're missing the chance to utilise the processing power of the remote machine. How about installing a remote VV agent onto that machine, the process would then be something like:

Job kicks off on local machine.

Remote agent receives a request to scan, starts doing it.

Local machine is also scanning at the same time. Finishes and waits for response for agent.

Remote agent completes scan and sends info back.

Local machines performs comparison. Decides what needs archiving on remote machine. Sends remote agent that information.

Remote agent starts archiving. At the same time, local machine compresses files to be copied, and sends it down the line.

Remote agent waits for archiving to complete and compressed files to be received. Then uncompresses.

From my experience, I think this would reduce the time taken dramatically. I've actually thought about writing it myself (as current VV jobs run overnight are getting close to running in to the next day) but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Any plans to do this kind of thing?

(...and apologies if I've missed it and it is included in v2...)
way2trivial

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: I'll second this, esp for crc comparisons... Reply with quote

I'll bet a remote agent could crc check a local directory, and throw a key back to the host, a lot faster than doing it over VPN connections..

if host ran crc check on a folder, and remote did, they could each generate a very short hash on the whole thing, and then if they didn't match throw hashes based on smaller subsets of the folders, until the discrepency was found...
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, having a remote agent would help speeding up CRC calculations and also directory compares. The remote agent would do the calculations locally and send back info to the running ViceVersa program. Having a remote ViceVersa agent is on our product roadmap. Smile
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum