Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Simultaneous Access

Marky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Simultaneous Access Reply with quote

Just evaluating VV2 Pro and it seems to be what I need. I have one question however.

I have a home network, 1 desktop pc directly connected to my router, 1 laptop, wirelessly connected to the router and a Freecom network drive (NDAS) directly connected to the router so it can be accessed from either computer. I have installed VV2 pro on both machines and want to use the software to synch from either pc to the network drive (using VVLauncher and realtime synch) and then for the changes to be detected by the other pc and incorporated. (again using VVLauncher and real time synch) This works ok as long as only one pc is running at once. If they are both running, VV launcher on the pc that booted second reports that it is unable to access the drive and the enable button cannot be selected. If I shut down the first pc then VVLauncher becomes available on the second one.

I presume this is due to problems with both pc's trying to access the drive at the same time. If I exit VVLauncher on the first pc it still doesn't allow VVLauncher to access the drive from the second pc, I have to shutdown the first pc to free it. The problem exists if I run VVLauncher either as a service or on its own. Both pc's are not always on at the same time, hence the need to go through the network drive. I really quite like the idea of real time synch from my laptop to the networkdrive and then on to the desktop and vice versa. Is this possible with VV2 or must I resign myself to shutting down one computer before the second can detect the changes?

Would using a standard NAS drive with an ip address be better.? The Freecom uses the NDAS protocol and appears as a local disk on each pc. Could this be part of the problem? I don't mind getting a new NAS drive eventually but don't want to go to the expense just yet if the problem withh VV2 will be the same.

Regards,

Mark
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you access the NAS drive when both computers are on using Windows Explorer? What exact error is VVLauncher showing? (is it about monitoring a folder or accessing) thank you
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy resonse.

Yes I can access the drive through windows explorer with both pc's on. The VVLauncher log error is 'unable to monitor the drive'.

Cheers,

Mark
Marky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to log in
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 2 instances of VVLauncher monitoring both source and target folders? What are the source and target folders for each of the 2 profiles on the 2 computers? thank you
Marky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each instance of VVLauncher monitors the source on it's own computer and the same target on the network drive. Each profile contains the same files for the source although obviously on different computers. The target is slightly different for each computer. From the desktop the network drive is allocated the letter J: and from the laptop it is allocated the letter E:.

I thought this may be the cause of the problem so I changed the network drive letter from the laptop to J: as well but the problem still persisted.

This is the error message I get when trying to run VVLauncher on the desktop with it already running on the laptop. * Error * Can not monitor folder: J:\Mark Documents\Accounts (Business) (C:\Documents and Settings\3XS SLi HOME\My Documents\ViceVersa PRO 2\Mark Data.fsf)

Mark Documents\Accounts (Business) is the first file (there are 7 in total) in the Mark Data profile. If I change the order of the files in the profile so that a different file is the first one the error message changes accordingly.

The error message from the laptop (if the desktop is connected first) is
* Error * Can not monitor folder: E:\Mark Documents\Accounts (Business) (C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\ViceVersa PRO 2\Mark Data Laptop.fsf)

Cheers
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - if you are backing up the 2 computers to the NAS and file changes only happens to the files on the computers you do not need to monitor the target (NAS). This could solve the issue. Ohterwise please send the 2 profiles to support@tgrmn.com, so we can have a detailed look, thanks.
Marky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No I'd really like the file changes to happen to the NAS and then be picked up by the second computer if that is possible. Both computers are not always on together (hence then need to use the NAS as a sort of middleman) but they are quite often. When they are both on I move from computer to computer entering data on whichever I'm closest to and so I would like the files on both computers to be up to date.

I'll send you the profiles to have a look at but as a general rule should VVLauncher normally be able to cope with 2 computers running real time monitoring and synchronizing to the same target file at the same time? Data would not be entered simultaneously as I only use one computer at once.

Cheers

Mark
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we got the fsf files.
The profiles look fine. So I think this is maybe something with the NAS. The fact that the first computer which starts monitoring is OK let me believe the NAS does not support 2 computers monitoring the same set of remote files.
My suggestion is to keep the NAS and to setup the 2 VVLauncher to monitor only the sources, plus run every 10 minutes. Local changes are then reflected to the NAS as soon as they happen and then they are pushed to the other computer every 10 minutes.
Marky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

Many thanks for the speedy response.

Cheers,

Mark

PS I'm impressed with both the software and the support so I will be purchasing VV2 Pro!
Marky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys your solution works a treat. I'm going to get a new NAS soon anyway so I'll let you know if that works with VVLauncher monitoring both source and target. If not I can still use the current solution so thanks once again.

All the best

Mark
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum