Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Max number of folder syncs in a profile?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Max number of folder syncs in a profile? Reply with quote

Hi can anyone advise please

We currently work on about 800 different projects each year. Each project has it's information stored in it's own folder on a network server.

What I am trying to achieve is to make data in these folders available to corresponding folders on a web server for download to our clients. Our web developers have created a neat system that copes with the creation and security etc of the web folders. The only problem is that this means rather than syncing a whole directory tree to the corresponding tree on the web server I need to sync the individual folders from the storage server to each individual folder on the web server.

I am just evaluating VV in a small test situation at present. I know I can add as many folder syncs as I like to a profile, but realistically is there a limit and will 800 cause problems. Also what sort of impact is this likely to have on the performance of the file and web server. I am using the VVLauncher so that it runs as a service and only operates when it detects changes in the source folder - is this the best setup?

Should I be looking at other software that can handle this better? I have looked at some of the other solutions about and to be honest none seem to match up to the flexibility, power and affordability of VV.

Also not sure if I have come across a bug - if I delete ALL files from the source for some reason this is not replicated in the target?

Any help / advice appreciated.

Geraint
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically 800 source / target pairs in the same profile would soon become quite unmanageble .... I do not recommend it.
What about having all 800 folders under the same parent folder and then work with that single folder?

Quote:
Also not sure if I have come across a bug - if I delete ALL files from the source for some reason this is not replicated in the target?

What execution method are you using, backup, sync or replication?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Geraint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Having all 800 pairs under one folder would of course make the most sense, however the creation of the folders on the web server has to be managed by the web scripting on that server so that security issues and user accounts can be applied correctly. I can't have sync folders being created on their own!

I have had a re-think anyway and suspect the best way of handling this might be to just create a shortcut folder under each active folder that points to the web server folders and drop files in there as needed.

I'm using Backup (mirror source to target).

Although we may not use VV this for this project we may use it for syncing files across our WAN in future. It is still one of the best solutions I have seen in this area. Thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum