Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Blind Copy - Scan source only and copy without comparing

Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Blind Copy - Scan source only and copy without comparing Reply with quote

I need to copy from a source folder on computer A to a target folder on computer B that is always empty. The target is a temporary storge folder used by a program that scans the folder for new files (audio) then converts them to another format, saves the converted file in another folder and deletes the file from the temp folder.
Any VV method that scans the empty target will either delete the source files or continuously copy the files. Both undesireable.
I realize there is a No Scan option but I fear the day that the database gets reset and the files are all copied over again. The files on computer B should not be overwritten by computer A files unless they have changed on the on computer A. This is because the files are sometimes changed locally on computer B as well and we always need the newest files on computer B.
In short copy files from source to target only. Only scan the source for changes. Do not compare source against target or a database. Copy the changed files to the target.
p.s. I am already using VV ver 2.5 for backups on computer A and I do not want to run another program for this application.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think the "No rescan" target option with the replication method does that:
- copy files from source to target only.
- Only scan the source for changes.
thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TGRMN Software"]Hi, I think the "No rescan" target option with the replication method does that:

Hi, I have been using the "No rescan" target option with the replication method as suggested, sucessfully. However, I have thought of a feature that would work better for my scenario.
After a comparison between a source and destination, have the option to copy changed files to a location other than the scanned source or destination folder. (ie the Temp folder mentioned in my origional post)
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Troy, can you elaborate on a scenario that would benefit for the functionality you would like to have? thanks!
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. So first, please see the scenerio from my origional post. So I would like viceversa to compare the source folder on computer A with the target folder on computer B being the folder that the converted audio gets transfered into from the temp folder. After the comparisson scan is complete the new or changed audio in the source folder would be sent to the temp folder on computer B where it would be converted and moved over to the target folder. Please let me know if more information is needed.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum