Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Client Sync from Multiple Sources at Multiple Locations

Karl Ossoinig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Client Sync from Multiple Sources at Multiple Locations Reply with quote

Dear VV Support Forum,

I am considering using VV to sync data that changes over time and from server to server. The clients will move between locations, and each location has a server with data that changes over time. When a client laptop arrives at a location, it will connect to the local wireless network via 802.11 and DHCP.

Is it possible to have a single configuration on the client connect and sync with the local server source? Note that these are different networks, and the server names and IP's will be different.

Also worth mentioning is that there are over 10,000 clients moving between about 100 locations. A single configuration for the client would be required to make the environment manageable...

Any thoughts?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

for each user how what is the local folder name and the remote share name on the servers?

A profile could be setup like:
LocalFolder -> ServerA/ShareA
LocalFolder -> ServerB/ShareB
LocalFolder -> ServerC/ShareC

with the flag "Continue even if some source/target folders are not available".

To have the same profile across all the users, what is the structure of the name of LocalFolder and ShareA, ShareB, ShareC?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Karl Ossoinig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: (additional discussion) Reply with quote

Thank you for repyling -

Let's assume that there are 10 files in GenericLocalFolder on each server called File1, File2 ... File10, and that I configure each server to share GenericLocalFolder as GenericShareName.

If the generic client profile contains entries for all sites where they might roam, then you are saying it would look like this (with the "Continue" flag set):

GenericLocalFolder -> Server1/GenericShareName
GenericLocalFolder -> Server2/GenericShareName
GenericLocalFolder -> Server3/GenericShareName
:
:
GenericLocalFolder -> Server60/GenericShareName

This would require me to update the profile on all clients whenever a new server is added. This sounds reasonable, but I was hoping that there might be a way to configure servers so that they have a logical name that is identical and only available locally.

Then I could use

GenericLocalFolder -> GenericServer /GenericShareName

and not need the flag set or ever update the profile on the clients.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum