Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Linux Version?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Alexei_B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Linux Version? Reply with quote

I'd love to see a Linux version of this program. Although rsnyc is the command line tool of choice for Linux distros, there does not seem to be a GUI interface with anything near the functional level of V.V.
Thanks.
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

I'll second that.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, a LINUX version is currently not planned .... Shocked
http://www.compareandmerge.com
qukza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: missed opportunity Reply with quote

I think you are missing a great opportunity and will eventually lose some existing customers into the bargain. Pity as you have a very nice product.

Plenty of long-time Windows users are looking at Vista and the new Office and thinking "why should I pay big money (software plus hardware upgrade) for this pain and to what end?" SuSE looks better every day.

Microsoft is starting to look like IBM around the early 90s. Wake up and smell the coffee.
SuseLinux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

There is a growing market in Suse Linux. I totally agree with you guys.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone try WINE + ViceVersa on Linux ?
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:

Not yet. Maybe also worth trying to run ViceVersa on Windows virtual machine using Parallels, VMware, or I guess at some point Xen, running on either a Linux or OSX host.
LuX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Linux version Reply with quote

Another guest wrote:
Just another vote. . . I too would purchase a Linux version.

++1 Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: running viceversa on linux using wine Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:

definitely yes. I managed to run viceversa on linux, using the amazing capabilities of the wine emulator. here is what I did:

- I installed wine on my ubuntu throught the add/remove applications (just a couple of clicks and wine was ready to go, I'm pretty sure that doing this from any other linux distribution will be easy anyway)

- I configured wine to "imitate windows vista" (here I should say that I tried xp, 2000 and 98, and sometimes was working and sometimes not, mostly due to trying to close advising program popups; you'll probable have to try your own configuration and see if VV freezes or not)

- configured VV to not consider 1-2 seconds difference, the 1 hour offset that my linux seems to find against my windows partitions, synchronization method (with database), increased the buffer size to 65536, and of course selected the folders I wanted to mirror.

the result: VV works like a charm! this was one of the few programs I needed from windows and that I wasn't able to run in Linux, but using this workaround I'll be able to stay with my nice ubuntu.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a linux native program now that does something similar as VV although without all the features of VV (yet). Manual sync only.
Take a look and see if it may be useful.
You can find it on SourceForge -> synco
JoeWied

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: missed opportunity Reply with quote

qukza wrote:
I think you are missing a great opportunity and will eventually lose some existing customers into the bargain. Pity as you have a very nice product.

Plenty of long-time Windows users are looking at Vista and the new Office and thinking "why should I pay big money (software plus hardware upgrade) for this pain and to what end?" SuSE looks better every day.

Microsoft is starting to look like IBM around the early 90s. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Sorry forget Linux. There is no market on Linux, due the fact that most software is running under GNU. Nobody (pros) cares.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: missed opportunity Reply with quote

JoeWied wrote:
Sorry forget Linux. There is no market on Linux, due the fact that most software is running under GNU. Nobody (pros) cares.

That's funny. I can think of a lot of companies making billions using Linux: IBM, HP, Dell, Oracle, Google, Amazon...No wonder Ballmer spends a lot of time worrying about Linux, probably more so in this economy. I suspect he knows something you don't.

From transcript of Microsoft Strategic Update Meeting, February 24, 2009:

Ballmer on Desktop operating systems:
Quote:
We're very focused in on both Apple as a competitor, and Linux as a competitor. I think the dynamic with Linux is changing somewhat.

Ballmer on server operating systems:
Quote:
Linux and we have not shifted share positions, but Linux is the big competitor. Linux still dominates Web and scientific computing workloads.
roxi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: missed opportunity Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
JoeWied wrote:

That's funny. I can think of a lot of companies making billions using Linux: IBM, HP, Dell, Oracle, Google, Amazon...No wonder Ballmer spends a lot of time worrying about Linux, probably more so in this economy. I suspect he knows something you don't.
From transcript of Microsoft Strategic Update Meeting, February 24, 2009:
Ballmer on Desktop operating systems:
Quote:
We're very focused in on both Apple as a competitor, and Linux as a competitor. I think the dynamic with Linux is changing somewhat.

Ballmer on server operating systems:
Quote:
Linux and we have not shifted share positions, but Linux is the big competitor. Linux still dominates Web and scientific computing workloads.

Billions and billions are being made on using Linux.
Great post of transcripts. Thanks~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Using Linux Reply with quote

Most Backup targets I use are Linux Samba Servers/NAS. Some times they are also source of data to backup.

If there would be a Linux version with the same stability, I would use and recommend it.

Of course there are some similar alternatives. But I have yet to come to one that deals well with the extremly long path/filenames existing on Windows, namely on users accounts and settings.

Thats why I keep using and recommending VV.
dr_who

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Version? Reply with quote

Alexei_B wrote:
I'd love to see a Linux version of this program. Although rsnyc is the command line tool of choice for Linux distros, there does not seem to be a GUI interface with anything near the functional level of V.V.
Thanks.

Yes plz..

+1

Dr_who
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum