Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Some features I think could be useful

sbertolucci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Some features I think could be useful Reply with quote

Hello,
It is some years now I use Viceversa & VVengine with great satisfaction. During this time I happened to find situations in which I thought "Wish I had this option".
I summarize some of them here in the hope to give some useful suggestions to the creator of this beautiful software.

In Viceversa

1) A "Rescan on error option" ( see my reply at this post http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict3312.htm )

2) A "Sync only common subfolders" option. It can happen to want to sync only part of repositories. For me is the Visual Studio\Projects folder. I'd like to keep my personal projects only on my computer and to sync only work projects between my laptop and home desktop without messing with the Visual Studio folders structure.

3) An "Alternative destination". I'd like to use the same profile for syncing between my home desktop and some mobile storage when it is connected either to my desktop or my laptop (in this case the destination would be a network share, alternative to the "regular" desktop destination).

In VVEngine

1) A "Do not start if these programs are running" option. Sometimes to start a volume shadow copy is too heavy and the option "try to copy files that are in use by other applications" do not succeed. The option should trigger a sort of "need to copy" flag and as soon as the other programs don't run start a copy.

2) A "Run only if these profiles don't run" option. It can happen to have a sort of "chained" syncs/backups and this option would assure consistency among them. It could be also integrated with another option like "Run these other profiles after this profile completed" to further improve consistency.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

thanks for the great feedback.

Some comments:

Quote:
1) A "Rescan on error option" ( see my reply at this post http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict3312.htm )

This is interesting, maybe the best option could be to refresh the target upon copying, e.g. do not produce error if target file is already deleted.

Quote:
2) A "Sync only common subfolders" option. It can happen to want to sync only part of repositories. For me is the Visual Studio\Projects folder. I'd like to keep my personal projects only on my computer and to sync only work projects between my laptop and home desktop without messing with the Visual Studio folders structure.

Also very interesting. It could be implemented with an option "include only common subfolders" in profile settings -> execution

Quote:
3) An "Alternative destination". I'd like to use the same profile for syncing between my home desktop and some mobile storage when it is connected either to my desktop or my laptop (in this case the destination would be a network share, alternative to the "regular" desktop destination).

I think this could be implemented with a multi source / target pair and option "Continue even if sources/targets are inaccessible" in profile setting -> folders?

Quote:
1) A "Do not start if these programs are running" option. Sometimes to start a volume shadow copy is too heavy and the option "try to copy files that are in use by other applications" do not succeed. The option should trigger a sort of "need to copy" flag and as soon as the other programs don't run start a copy.

Yes. Can you give some examples of programs that are running that you would like to use this option with? thanks

Quote:
2) A "Run only if these profiles don't run" option. It can happen to have a sort of "chained" syncs/backups and this option would assure consistency among them. It could be also integrated with another option like "Run these other profiles after this profile completed" to further improve consistency.

Can you elaborate this on this requirement please. Currently VVEngine provides the scheduling settings "After this profile run ... " How would this new option(s) differ?

thank you again for your feedback!
http://www.compareandmerge.com
sbertolucci

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

This is interesting, maybe the best option could be to refresh the target upon copying, e.g. do not produce error if target file is already deleted.

Yes. Absolutely there's not to be an error over a failed deletion if the target has already been deleted.

Quote:
Quote:

Also very interesting. It could be implemented with an option "include only common subfolders" in profile settings -> execution

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

Quote:
Quote:

I think this could be implemented with a multi source / target pair and option "Continue even if sources/targets are inaccessible" in profile setting -> folders?

Yes, even if giving it a second thought maybe this needs some further elaboration e.g. what to do if more than a source / target couple are present ?
I think a sort of hierarchy of source/target should be implemented and operate only between the first available (in hierarchy order) couple

Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Can you give some examples of programs that are running that you would like to use this option with? thanks

Basically I'm having this sort of errors with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) and Visual Studio. When these programs run they open their files in exclusive mode and Viceversa raises an error if I don't use shadow copy, even if i set the flag "try to copy even if the file is open in other programs".

Quote:
Quote:

Can you elaborate this on this requirement please. Currently VVEngine provides the scheduling settings "After this profile run ... " How would this new option(s) differ?

Well, I have a sync profile between my work laptop and desktop documents to keep some work folders up to date. On the desktop I also have a backup profile for the documents folder which includes also the work folders.
Now, I cannot set the documents backup to run after the sync, because it has to run indipendently.
Currently what happens is that when the backup job "feels" the changes made by the sync job it starts a backup before the sync has actually finished. This leads to multiple runs of the backup job when, if it started only when the sync has finished a single run would be sufficient.

Quote:
thank you again for your feedback!

You are welcome!! I'm very happy with Viceversa and like I said, if I can provide some useful suggestion I'm willing to share it with you
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically I'm having this sort of errors with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) and Visual Studio. When these programs run they open their files in exclusive mode and Viceversa raises an error if I don't use shadow copy, even if i set the flag "try to copy even if the file is open in other programs".

Thanks. Another way could be to have an option to not report file in-use errors, and just skip those (will be copied next time ViceVersa runs).

Quote:
Well, I have a sync profile between my work laptop and desktop documents to keep some work folders up to date. On the desktop I also have a backup profile for the documents folder which includes also the work folders.
Now, I cannot set the documents backup to run after the sync, because it has to run indipendently.
Currently what happens is that when the backup job "feels" the changes made by the sync job it starts a backup before the sync has actually finished. This leads to multiple runs of the backup job when, if it started only when the sync has finished a single run would be sufficient.

Yes, this could be a VVEngine restriction option "do not start if profile X is running". VVEngine would still detect the changes and run when X is no longer running.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum