Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Just a curiosity...

revnice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Just a curiosity... Reply with quote

The backup has been running for say, an hour. The status bar shows that a quarter of the backup is complete - suggesting that 3 hours remain.

However, the Estimated Time Remaining shows 14 hrs 26 minutes! - or something else that's totally bizarre.

I can tell from doing many backups, that the status bar estimate is quite reliable but the ETR is a complete retard! (This is true of the Win 7 operating system too).

That they are calculated differently must be the explanation but a Time Remaining that's so wildly inaccurate and constantly changes its mind, cannot possibly be useful to anyone.

Why don't we have the ETR consult the status bar to find a meaningful Time Remaining? Smile

rev
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ViceVersa uses the speed of the copy during the last X minutes to estimate the time left. It assumes that the rest of the copy will happen at the same speed as the last X minutes. But that can be incorrect.

Another method could be to use the total time so far to estimate the rest, but that could be incorrect too. It is hard to estimate the time left based on what has happened so far.

For instance copying a large file is faster than copying many small files. So if you start copying small files and copy a very large file for last, the estimate time left could be very incorrect.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
revnice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured that was the case but why even bother with an estimate that's wildly inaccurate and constantly changing?

The status bar, or rather the calculation method used for the display of the status bar, seems to be pretty accurate.

I have a lot of digital audio stuff so it gets slow copying 40,000 piano samples but large and small files tend to average out the estimate by the end.

Good program! If I were to suggest changes, the interface is a little funky, not slick like the usual presentation of Windows programs. I'm not fooled by that, functionality is more important but VV has that.

Maybe it's time to update the interface and combine all those window that popup into a tabbed display?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum