Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

I'd like to report a thing...

revnice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: I'd like to report a thing... Reply with quote

I was alerted to a 'Reallocation Error.'

As we all know, a reallocation error occurs when a read, write or verify error occurs on the disk and the smart technology can no longer find a good place to put the data.

Then comes a warning that if you don't backup now, a disk failure could occur on the next read, write or verify error.

You're out on a limb now.

My normal backup takes hours, I might not have time to complete it before the failure occurs and it's likely to occur because the backup includes most of the disk.

Make a new, smaller Profile quickly, I thought. One that includes only the most critical stuff. That seemed to be the best thing I could do. That done, I set about backing up only the most important stuff with Mirror as my Execution method.

To my horror, VV begins Deleting the critical stuff on the backup drive before copying it from the source! This means I could experience a disk failure after the existing backup has gone and before the critical stuff has been copied.

Now you're out on a limb with your pants down.

Fortunately, I got backed up before disaster occurred.

Those circumstances are probably not going to be a common situation for most people but when that happens you're going to be really vulnerable at a time when disk failure is imminent.

The only solution I can think of is have VV copy from the source to the destination first instead of deleting what you have on the backup drive.

At least if a disk failure occurred, you'd still have the old backup.

rev
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'd like to add that the Mirror method makes an exact mirror of the source onto the target and deletes all files that are in target but not in source.
If your goal is not to delete anything from the target, use the Replication (update) : http://www.tgrmn.com/web/kb/item27.htm

Also, always use the preview before running a new profile! the preview shows you exactly what files ViceVersa will delete / copy / overwrite...

I hope you were able to save most of your files from the failing disk!
http://www.compareandmerge.com
revnice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mirror method makes an exact mirror of the source onto the target and deletes all files that are in target but not in source"

Understood, I'm only suggesting that VV preserves the data at risk first, then performs the delete. Instead of the other way around.

If you've been warned that you're about to experience disk failure, preserving the wanted data should come before deleting the unwanted.

Yep, I was able to save everything, thanks.

rev
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum