Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Sync UP or Sync Down Capability?

Tommm777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Sync UP or Sync Down Capability? Reply with quote

I would like to see a capability I call Sync UP or Sync Down.

Sync Down:
This would be when I have 5000 files (maybe) in a single directory and I need to sync the newest ones into Subdirectories. If No Subdirectory (discovered by viceversa search) contains the file, then do nothing to sync it - but mark it and offer choices (move/copy/delete). If the viceversa sync search finds the file in a subdirectory then offer the choice to either sync it Down or copy/move/delete it above (or below).

Sync Up:
This would be the opposite of Sync Down. It is for when I need to create a single directory location for files which may be distributed in subdirectories. I need to have viceversa scan the subdirectories and offer the ability to Sync Up the files into a single subdirectory.

These utilities would be of use to someone tasked with maintaining ebook, document or mp3 libraries and who wish to keep the materials organized via use of subdirectories but have the need to place a large number of these (subdirectory) files into a single directory for easier transfer to a mobile device (like an IPod or Kindle).

Any Chances for this is V3.0?

Further Enhancements Could be for viceversa to access metadata associated with the files and offer a choice to create subdirectory names from the meta data (Title-Author, Title-Artist) etc as a choice for files not found in subdirectory during a sync down action?[/b]
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. We call this "flat" target or source. What if two files in the "non-flat" part happen to have the same name?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Tommm777

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Same File Name? Reply with quote

On first occurance or via previous Options setting I'd ask the user whether he wanted to:

1) Overwrite the file ONCE or ALLWAYS or Only if the file was either NEWER or OLDER ect,
2) Skip the file either ONCE or ALLWAYS,
3) SKIP ALL actions related to similar occurances of the condition that resulted in this question being sent back to the user regarding his copy/move/sych request. He may not care about a small number of inconsistent file transfers if he has a few thousand to move/copy. Do the bulk of the work first --- ask the small questions later...

Show the user a log of any skipped action(s) not taken so he can be aware of what was or wasn't done. Option to Save the actions in a file for later review?

I like the term Flat. I'd like flat and non-flat to be able to merge (both up and down if possible) Smile
Tommm777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Ok, one more thing and then I'll probably be done... Reply with quote

I would love it if you could build in a capabiltiy to Sync Up --- ALL files of a certain type I would choose (like PDF's or MP3's for example) into a single directory

--- AND THEN REMEMBER WHERE YOU GOT THEM ---

So that after I perform a batch job on the files (like shrinking them for instance)

--- ViceVersa Pro would be able to put them back to where they were originally located.

I would like it if ViceVersa would offer to skip any I decide to remove from the Sync'd Up directory

You can tell by my requests how I am spending all my free time Very Happy

This is not really a Sync per sey. It's a Half sync utility I'd find useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum