Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

How can I force delete of "empty" directories?

jmpoer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: How can I force delete of "empty" directories? Reply with quote

I do simple MIRROR backups from a large document storage system (PaperPort).

When I move, or change the NAME of a Directory, VV correctly creates a new Directory in the Target, and/or moves the files. OK, good!

But...the OLD Directory in the Target contains some "hidden" files placed there by the PaperPort archiving system. These DON'T get moved or deleted, and VV won't delete the directory, because it's not empty. The archive system recreates these files as needed, so deleting them causes no issues, especially in the target where they are only backup anyway.

Can I force deletion of Directories that contain only hidden and/or system files?

Thanks,

JP
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

But...the OLD Directory in the Target contains some "hidden" files placed there by the PaperPort archiving system. These DON'T get moved or deleted, and VV won't delete the directory, because it's not empty. The archive system recreates these files as needed, so deleting them causes no issues, especially in the target where they are only backup anyway.

Hello ,

does VV report an error for the hidden files that are not removed from target? they should be removed if they are remove (renamed) in source. Or did you exclude hidden files in the profile settings?

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
jmpoer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't wish to move (mirror) the hidden files as they are unneeded so they are excluded.

When a directory is renamed, or moved in the source, no action whatever is taken by the operator on the hidden files. This means that VV is creating a "new" directory in the source, copying the visible files and deleting, and then NOT copying and deleting the hidden ones, and then reacting to the "left behind" hidden ones.

It appears the only way to stop this is to mirror the hidden files (millions of unnecessary bytes). I am just speculating here, but perhaps a function to apply a "filter" to the TARGET directory is needed...to allow deletion of a directory that "only contains"-->LIST....or something of that nature. Perhaps this exists and I just don't know how to use it.

Thanks,

jp
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum