Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Replication performance improvement

orteg

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Replication performance improvement Reply with quote

I am testing/discovering your product and it is really flexible and powerful, but I have found something that could be improved in comparison with the software I am currently using.

If you try to replicate (no matter if it is augment, refresh or update) a small local folder with a large remote folder, it takes a long time because vv collects all the information of the remote directory. Much of that information is not necessary:

Even if you have a million files/folders in the target directory, you only need to try to collect information of matches/mismatches of the 1 hundred files/folders in the source.

Collecting information for those extra 1.000.000-1.000 files/folders over the WAN is a waste of time.

The business case behind this is: I run a website with lots of pictures. I could have full sync copy in my local drive, but syncing would take very long (at least longer than the nest option). Instead I have a local folder where I drop new and updated pictures that I replicate to the web server.

This other user is asking for the same thing http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict2677.htm

It would be grate if replication could work this other way, at least as an option if the current way is to be kept for some reason.

Thank you very much,

Miguel
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Yes, assuming that the target files do not change, ViceVersa could keep a cached list of the target files so it does not need to re-scan it each time. But that would not necessarily work with synchronization, as files could be changing in target too. This is a very useful new feature we'd like to add to ViceVersa.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
orteg

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Fantastic Reply with quote

Exactly, this would only be for replication.

Your solution seems much more elegant to me than mine. I was thinking about looping through the files in the source and checking one by one against the target. But your local cached copy would reduced WAN trips and it would be much faster!

I can't wait for it Wink

Miguel
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum