Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A couple pre-sales questions: Large files, VPNs

rkagerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: A couple pre-sales questions: Large files, VPNs Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm looking for software to backup local data to a remote location, and it just about looks like ViceVersa in combination with a VPN will do the trick. A few questions:

1) I have a lot of >4GB files (they are virtual machines), and when changes are made usually only a small portion of the file is changed. Is ViceVersa smart enough to synchronize only the changed bits, or does it have to recopy the entire file every time a change is made?

2) Is it possible to "prioritize" the order things get copied to the remote loction? i.e. If one of the aforementioned 4GB files is in the midst of a 4-day copy operation, and I make some changes to smaller files (e.g. source code modules), is there any way to tell it to pause the 4GB file and immediately copy the smaller files? Now, how can I automate that?

3) Can you set up a VPN with Windows XP Professional on both ends, or do you need to be running Server?

4) Is VPN the only way to acheive copying across the Internet?

Thanks,

-Richard
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) I have a lot of >4GB files (they are virtual machines), and when changes are made usually only a small portion of the file is changed. Is ViceVersa smart enough to synchronize only the changed bits, or does it have to recopy the entire file every time a change is made?

The whole file is copied. Currently ViceVersa is a client only software, it does not have a target agent.

Quote:
2) Is it possible to "prioritize" the order things get copied to the remote loction? i.e. If one of the aforementioned 4GB files is in the midst of a 4-day copy operation, and I make some changes to smaller files (e.g. source code modules), is there any way to tell it to pause the 4GB file and immediately copy the smaller files? Now, how can I automate that?

Currently not. Good suggestion for future upgrades, thanks!

Quote:
3) Can you set up a VPN with Windows XP Professional on both ends, or do you need to be running Server?

Yes, it is possible.

Quote:
4) Is VPN the only way to acheive copying across the Internet?

Currently yes. FTP, SFTP are not supported yet.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum