Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

recovering lost data files II

lecter00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: recovering lost data files II Reply with quote

Sorry, i publish now to the right section this post posted yesterday to the "tips tricks and more" section.

Please Help me.
I use viceversa to copy (sync) my Documents folder in an esternal hard disk. Yesterday i formatted my pc but when I went to the external hard disk to take my files i could not take the new files created in the last 5 months with Viceversa (the pc give me the error: denied access, or you have not the righs to access).
Insted, i can access to the old data (created more then 5 months ago, created when i were not using Veceversa).

Please help me to solve this GRAVE problem, form me.
THANK you for your time,
Ivan

lecter00@libero.it
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - is the external drive a NTFS file system? If positive, check out the security attributes of the files (click on the file and select properties in Windows Explorer) . It may be that you copied security attributes with ViceVersa (SACL) and then, after reformatting, you no longer have right to access the files.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Astenz-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: recovering lost data files II Reply with quote

lecter00 wrote:
Sorry, i publish now to the right section this post posted yesterday to the "tips tricks and more" section.

Please Help me.
I use viceversa to copy (sync) my Documents folder in an esternal hard disk. Yesterday i formatted my pc but when I went to the external hard disk to take my files i could not take the new files created in the last 5 months with Viceversa (the pc give me the error: denied access, or you have not the righs to access).
Insted, i can access to the old data (created more then 5 months ago, created when i were not using Veceversa).

Please help me to solve this GRAVE problem, form me.
THANK you for your time,
Ivan

lecter00@libero.it

Hi Lecter00,
am pretty sure that your problem is related to NTFS permissions (cause you try to retreive files from an NTFS volume that came from another Windows installation). You need to reset the ownership for the entire volume so your local administrator account can acces theses files.
Here is the workaround:
(I assume that you use WinXP)
1. Ensure that you desactivate WinXP "Simple file sharing"
Windows Explorer -> Tools/Folder Options/View/Uncheck "Use Simple file sharing/Click OK)
2. Right click the volume where your data is (ex: D:\) / Properties / Security
3. In the Security tab, click Advanced / Owner / select your user (ex: administrator) and check "Replace owner..." and finally click "OK"
4. Windows will replace the owner on all files on volume, if you got a lot of files that gonna take a while. After this process you should get full access to your data.

Good luck! Wink

Astenz
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum