Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

monitored file change backup when disk error?

Potential User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: monitored file change backup when disk error? Reply with quote

I have a quick quesiton regarding your product in relation to something that just happened to me last night.
I intended to use your live monitoring feature to track the changes to a folder so that it would be constantly backed up.

I just had a drive error which resulted in chkdsk deleting files, moving files due to bad blocks, etc. I have a feeling that if I had been running the monitor on this, it would have actually caused my backup to "follow along" with the changes. I guess this means I should do only manual backups, but I wanted to know if the software recognizes this type of error.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VV creates a mirror of source to target: if the source gets corrupted, the corruption will be replicated to the target. Of course, this happens with any backup program Shocked

To avoid this , ViceVersa archiving can be used. With archiving enabled target or source files are not replaced/deleted but moved for a certain amount of days to a specified archive location.

Also, a batch could also be setup to run before execution to check the status of the disk using a S.M.A.R.T. utility.

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive manufacturers.

Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before any data is lost or damaged.

Backup could be stopped as soon as the SMART diagnostic fails.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum