Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Run {add options} When File Changes Are Detected

RoloX2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Run {add options} When File Changes Are Detected Reply with quote

Request adding delayed monitoring options as alternatives to:

[checkbox] Monitor Source and Run When File Changes Are Detected

i.e. two radio buttons:

[checkbox] Monitor Source and Run

[radio button] Immediately When File Changes Are Detected
[radio button] In ___ Minutes After File Changes Are Detected
[radio button] When File Changes Are Detected But Wait ___ Seconds For Changes to Finish

Reason:

I implemented the 3-way real-time synch posted here but with two profiles on each computer to complete the mesh (So if Computer 1 were inop, Computers 2 and 3 will still synch.)

VVEngine is installed locally on each machine with the following six ViceVersa profiles:

- Computer 1 synchs with Computer 2
- Computer 1 synchs with Computer 3

- Computer 2 synchs with Computer 1
- Computer 2 synchs with Computer 3

- Computer 3 synchs with Computer 1
- Computer 3 synchs with Computer 2

When Computer 1's files change, its profile kicks off a synch and copies new files. Computer 2's and 3's VVengines detect that its files have been changed and kicks off a synch as well. When this happens before Computer 1's synch is complete, all three fail due to conflicts/errors (a "glare" condition in phone-speak).

On each system, I have "If Error Occurs Re-Run After x Minute(s)" enabled, where:
Computer 1, x = 1;
Computer 2, x=2;
Computer 3, x = 3 minutes to ensure the synch gets accomplished while trying to prevent all of them from resynching at the same time (it doesn't always work since synch start/duration/error-detection doesn't occur at the exact same times) creating a lengthy loop of glares. These error/delays prevent real-time changes from being real-time.

The desired behaviour with setting When File Changes Are Detected But Wait 6 Seconds* For Changes to Finish on all three computers:

(*example, on the premise that 6 seconds is almost an eternity for computers yet almost imperceptible by humans)

Computer 1 detects file changes, starts 6-second countdown timer; if another change occurs before the timer runs out, the timer is reset. Not until the timer reaches zero will the synch with Computers 2 and 3 begin. The profile won't start as long as changes are being made within 6 seconds of each other; e.g. "When a change is detected, don't start until after another change hasn't been detected for 6 seconds."

While Computer 1 synchs with Computers 2 and 3, Computers 2 and 3 will detect changes but won't initiate a synch with until Computer 1 is finished with its synch.

After Computer 1 finishes its synch with Computers 2 and 3:
- Computer 2 will synch with 1 and 3
-- Synch with 1 will detect no changes since that just finished 6 seconds ago (reciprocal)
-- Synch with 3 will detect no changes since 1 just synched with 3 (transitive)
- Computer 3 will synch with 1 and 2
-- Synch with 1 will detect no changes since that just finished 6 seconds ago (reciprocal)
-- Synch with 2 will detect no changes since 1 just synched with 2 just the same (transitive)

This way, only two actual synchs/copies are made (1-to-2 and 1-to-3) with four synchs/no-changes following the copy and with no errors/glares.

Will this feature be possible and will it work as I've described?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

yes, there is a delay in VVEngine, but it s not customizable (and I need to check the exact value). But I thought it would work if you re-run on error?

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
RoloX2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, technically, work, however, not quite in real-time.

I currently have re-run on error set to the lowest value (1 min.); all three machines will "butt heads" until, eventually, all the files are synched in piecemeal fashion. How long it takes depends on the volume of data. The longer it takes, the greater the risk of a file being used/modified before it is synched, prompting a manual synch and causing data loss.

In testing this I've found another issue: the re-runs occur on the minute, which means that although all three machines will abort at different times, all three will restart at precisely the same time, recreating the glare condition on the minute, every minute.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum