Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Permissions not copied w/ 2.0 Build 2.0.0.8

moonshade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Permissions not copied w/ 2.0 Build 2.0.0.8 Reply with quote

I have downloaded the evaluation version of VV PRO to evaluate it for potential
use in a Windows 2003 Network Load Balanced Web Server environment that we are
working on. I am having a problem with the ACL function though. Here is the testing
scenario.

Windows 2003 test server running NTFS.
Source = e:\sync-test\
Target = e:\sync-test2\
Method = Sync, no confirmations, using a dbase, copy directly to location (no temp files), use shadow copy
for BOTH, Copy permissions (perms, auditing, owner), no empty target check.

command line = "c:\Program Files\viceversa pro 2\viceversa.exe" c:\vvsync\sync-test2.fsf" /dialogautoexec /autoclose /wait

Source had 4 files. Target had none. I ran the task & the files copied correctly. Then, in the Source, I added the EVERYONE group
to 1 of the files and gave it RWXD perms. & removed the inheritance setting. I ran the job again. The file in the target
location did not update & the log shows no changes. When running VV COMPARE, the files show as matching. I have tried running
with the Shadow Copy option on & off to see if that made a difference, which it did not.

However, if I run ROBOCOPY from the Windows 2003 resource kit, it updates the ACL on the files in the target location.

We were originally going to use robocopy, but found that we are going to need 2 way synchronization. Until this ACL issue, I
was ready to go with your product. However, this function must work. Is there something I am missing in a setting?
RobMW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Similar Problem Reply with quote

I cant even get it to copy NTFS permissions in the first place.

I want to replicate an empty directory tree with security permissions for subfolders but it doesn't work.

Profile settings...

Folders
- Source: "G:\Administration\test\"
- Target: "G:\Administration 2006\test\"
- Include Subfolders: Yes
- Create sources/targets that do not exist

<<snip>>

Execution
- Method: Backup (Mirror Source to Target)
- No archive for deleted/replaced source files
- No archive for deleted/replaced target files
- Copy files even if timestamp changes after initial comparison
- Try to copy files that are in use by other applications
- Use 'Volume Shadow Copy' to copy open files for both source and target
- Copy file/folder permissions
- Copy file/folder owner
moonshade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Mad Mad
Well, I really appreciate all of the support I have received from tech support for this app. NOT!!! I have made my decision & my company WILL NOT be purchasing your product.

I posted my issue question on Nov 2nd and the only reply I have received is from another user who is having similar issues and is wanting answers as well. Yet, I see other posts that were submitted well after mine and they were replied to almost immediately.

I also sent 2 emails to tech support a full week before I posted in the forum. I have yet to hear anything on those messages either.

You have definately lost a customer.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we must have overlooked your post Sad BTW - VV will not sync files if only ACLs were changed. This functionality is something that will be added in a future VV release. To work-around this for now, robocopy can setup to run after Viceversa. You can setup this in a batch to run after execution (see advanced settings in the profile).
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:
Sorry, we must have overlooked your post Sad BTW - VV will not sync files if only ACLs were changed. This functionality is something that will be added in a future VV release. To work-around this for now, robocopy can setup to run after Viceversa. You can setup this in a batch to run after execution (see advanced settings in the profile).

Ok, but what about the original problem? The permissions do not copy. Even for files that have never been sync'd.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum