Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Best approach for mirroring select nested files and folders?

kukur9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Best approach for mirroring select nested files and folders? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an app and associated data that I want to selectively back up each day with VV Pro. Within the app's folder there are subfolders and files. I want to back up select files and subfolders, plus select files within certain subfolders.

It's not clear to me how to attach a file filter to a subfolder - it seems like the file filter gets applied to the entire profile, which suggests that I have to use a separate profile for each subfolder? Is this right? It would be so much simpler to have file filters attach to a specific subfolder rather than at the global folder level.

I wish I could just drag and drop the individual files and folders/subfolders (about 24 of them) in VV and have a script created automatically...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Lorenzo
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

you can use a file filter such as:

Include c:\folder\subfolder\*.dat

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:
Hello

you can use a file filter such as:

Include c:\folder\subfolder\*.dat

thanks

Oh so this applies at the global folder level for specific files in a subfolder of the global folder. (Sorry I don't know the Windows/DOS lingo very well.)

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Help clarify filter logic? Reply with quote

Hi,
I made a test folder to test my profile filters and the following file filter (include) does not appear to work. The subfolder filter is working, but the specific files are not recognized when I preview the mirror copy:

Folders
- Source: "D:\zTESTFolder\"
- Target: "F:\zTestFolder\"
- Include Subfolders: Yes
- Include files: "D:\zTESTFolder\IN Global for copy.xls"
- Include files: "D:\zTESTFolder\F1\this should copy.xls"
- Include subfolders: "D:\zTESTFolder\F5 and should copy all\"
Comparison
- Comparison Type: Size and Timestamp
- Ignore 2 seconds difference
- Ignore 1 hour difference
Execution
- Method: Backup (Mirror Source to Target)
- No archive for deleted/replaced source files
- No archive for deleted/replaced target files

Would you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
kukur9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify from further testing: either the subfolder filter or the file filter alone works, but trying to use them together results in one or both filters failing to copy the desired files/folders. What am I doing wrong?
kukur9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got VV Pro to do what I wanted... This reminds me of the "good 'ol" DOS command line days and my trusty RPN HP 12C...

Note again that in this situation I am copying specific files in the root folder as well as within subfolders, and I am copying some but not all subfolders in their entirety. (The app I'm backing up has some subfolders of data that are over 3 GB, and I just want to back up my settings and preferences along with some specific hard-to-restore data.)

What would be helpful is if the instructions say "when you use filters for both files and folders, you need to specify the appropriate files and folders in both file filters and subfolder filters.

Or put another way: If you want to filter for individual files and subfolders simultaneously, select the files for filtering with the file filter mask, then include/exclude the appropriate folder in the subfolders filter mask. An individual file's home folder is not implied by the path entered in the file filter. It needs to be explicitly included/excluded in the subfolder filter maks too. If you want to copy an entire subfolder while filtering others, you have to specify all the files in that subfolder using a file filter in addition to specifying the actual subfolder with a subfolder filter.

I suppose there is a less convoluted way of explaining this, but unfortunately it all seems convoluted to me because I came it from a "just pick what you want to copy" perspective rather than a power-user logic perspective. I just wish I had found this info in the help file...

Here is the profile setting that works as desired now (note changes from profile above). As I explained, you can see that to copy an entire subfolder (F5, in this case) you have to specify its files with a file filter and you have to have the subfolder filtered.

Folders
- Source: "D:\zTESTFolder\"
- Target: "F:\zTestFolder\"
- Include Subfolders: Yes
- Include files: "IN Global for copy.xls"
- Include files: "\F1\this should copy.xls"
- Include files: "\F5 and should all\*"
- Exclude hidden files
- Exclude system files
- Include subfolders: "D:\zTESTFolder\"
- Include subfolders: "D:\zTESTFolder\F1\"
- Include subfolders: "D:\zTESTFolder\F5 and should all\"
- Exclude empty subfolders
- Exclude hidden subfolders
- Exclude system subfolders
Comparison
- Comparison Type: Size and Timestamp
- Ignore 2 seconds difference
- Ignore 1 hour difference
Execution
- Method: Backup (Mirror Source to Target)
- No archive for deleted/replaced source files
- No archive for deleted/replaced target files

I hope this helps someone else trying to do what I'm doing...
Lorenzo
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this and glad that you made it work! Very Happy
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum