Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Tracking files moved to different subdirectories

krkost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Tracking files moved to different subdirectories Reply with quote

I enjoy the program but wish you would develop a way for it to track files that have merely been moved to different subdirectories. As it works currently (unless I am missing something), you have to manually delete all of the target files before executing the sync or else all of the moved files will end up in their old and new locations on each drive.
noetus

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: I agree - and it's worse than that Reply with quote

I think the program is great, and very useful. I use it to back up all my important data to an SD card that is inside a slot on my laptop, every 6 minutes. So in case of hard drive failure, I have lost at most 6 minutes of data.

BUT whenever I move a file, or even change its name, ViceVersa Pro interprets that as TWO separate operations: the DELETION of one file, and the CREATION of another.

As a result, my Archive folder gets filled up with useless copies of files that differ only in a name change (or a folder location).

Also, if I do so much as change the name of a root folder that has many subdirectories, VVPro will take FOREVER to run as it busily deletes the ENTIRE SUBDIRECTORY FILE BY FILE, and then RECREATES THE ENTIRE SUBDIRECTORY FILE BY FILE on the backup disk.

That is SO inefficient. A professional sync/backup program would not do that. VVPro fails in this regard, big time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Comments / Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum