Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

CRC Check Option

CG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: CRC Check Option Reply with quote

When I really want to make sure that files are identical, I use the CRC check after the file copy process is done. While that will ensure that they are identical, it takes forever to complete when copying a large volume of data. I've seen suggestions about doing multithreaded checks which would help, but here's an idea for a CRC check that would make it extremely likely that the files were identical.

In ViceVersa there is an option to do a CRC comparison and allow it to look at X number of bytes. The idea being that you are checking a much smaller amount of data in most cases. While this is a good idea, in some cases the files will be identical at the beginning but changes or additions are at the end. A database file that has a new table might be a good example. Nothing changed except for a new table at the end of the file.

Here's my idea - give an option to perform the CRC check with x number of bytes from the beginning AND end of the file. So if I say 10,000 bytes, I'd really be getting a CRC on the first 10,000 AND last 10,000 together - 20,000 bytes total comparison between the target and source. You're much more likely to catch a problem than only looking at the beginning of a file.

Unless I had critical data that I absolutely needed to guarantee it be identical, I'd use this type of check much more often than a full CRC because you'd get great performance and a much higher likelihood of the two files being identical without a full CRC check.

This option could be used both for comparing Source to Target files - but also verifying that the copy process completed successfully.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum