Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

VV pro in a windows cluster

Miguel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: VV pro in a windows cluster Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been testing the software and it's great, I have a question: I want to know if the following scenario is supported?

We are going to use a two nodes Windows Cluster to store aprox 70 GB in a dayly basis and this data is going to be replicated to another server using VV, my doubt here is how to make VV keeps working even if one of the cluster nodes fails and the other one keep working maintaining all the resources available? do I have to install VV in both nodes of the cluster? if so, how do I should configure it?

Thanks,
Miguel.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a high availability file server cluster ? You could access files as a client would and simply mirror data. The client would not know one node is down and you would have always the same data. Or you could mirror the data from both servers to the same destination A->C and B->C. IF A is down B is backing up.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Miguel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Cluster Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, this is a HA File server cluster. my question was based in the following scenario: If I install VV Pro in A node and this goes down I understand the files will be available because the B node will take over the resources, but the VV Pro scheduled tasks won't be performed. If I install VV pro in both nodes, How should I configure them so when a node goes down the scheduler in the other one starts to administering the scheduled tasks?

During the operation of the cluster I can only assign resources to just one node (any node) so if this one goes down the other takes over, so I don't know how to mirror the data from both servers to the same destination at the same time, please advise.

Thanks,
Miguel.
WalkaboutTigger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not install VVPro on the target machine instead of the source machine?

Or are you replicating between two HA clusters?
Miguel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The target will be a Unix box with samba server on it.

Miguel.
WalkaboutTigger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the HA cluster in Active-Active or Active-Standby mode?

If Active-Active, just have VVPro running on both machines - one of them will pick up on the update before the other and update the target - you may see some errors, but they should be extremely rare.

If Active-Standby, whichever node is active at the time will update the target system, presuming you're running VVPro as a service or as a scheduled task.
Miguel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will test and let you know.

Thanks,
Miguel.
Geraint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried this and got it to work or not as we are wishing to do a similar thing with a 2 node cluster.

Geraint
Miguel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello WalkaboutTigger,

I have just test the installation on a Active-Standby cluster and the services works fine, I mean if one node goes down the other one takes over the service, but now I have a new issue, even when the service is always started on whichever node, just after the failover the VVLauncher service is not enabled and the VVLauncher icon is grayed so I need to login to the server, right click on the VVLauncher icon in the taskbar and select Enabl/Disable option in order to make it to start to work. Is there a way to enable it automatically without login?

Thanks,
Miguel.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum