Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

ACL and Shares

CJD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: ACL and Shares Reply with quote

Hi!

We currently have a need to replicate our main file server over to a newone. Will this software maintain all ACL and Share info during replciation?

Thanks!
CJD
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
ViceVersa PRO Build 2.0.0.8 will maintain all ACLs (Owner, SACL, DACL)but not share info during replication. We will probably add the share info part in our next release. Wink
http://www.compareandmerge.com
WalkaboutTigger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in knowing how you would implement that since shares are not stored in the file structure but stored in the registry...
jerry7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: no security info copied Reply with quote

hi,
i'm going from an ntfs w2k volume to a ntfs w2k3 volume and it is not copying security info. i do a test and choose either backup or sync and it moves the files but all files are created with the basic volume security. noting gets migrated. any ideas? i have selected the necessary options in advanced settings, copy permissions, security attributes and streams...

thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no security info copied Reply with quote

jerry7 wrote:
hi,
i'm going from an ntfs w2k volume to a ntfs w2k3 volume and it is not copying security info. i do a test and choose either backup or sync and it moves the files but all files are created with the basic volume security. noting gets migrated. any ideas? i have selected the necessary options in advanced settings, copy permissions, security attributes and streams...

thanks...

i have used robocopy and it works fine. i did notice that vvpro did copy the security info that had been deleted from the domain. it copied the sid, the one with the numbers and question mark but none of the relavant security info.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: no security info copied Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
jerry7 wrote:
hi,

thanks...

i have used robocopy and it works fine. i did notice that vvpro did copy the security info that had been deleted from the domain. it copied the sid, the one with the numbers and question mark but none of the relavant security info.

and just found this...

"Note that:
- the account running VV should have admin privileges with backup/restore authority for this to work.
- source and target should have the same permissions and security attributes to start with
- source and target should be part of the same domain"

specifically this statement...

- source and target should have the same permissions and security attributes to start with

i guess this makes me realize that it can't copy data with security to a new server volume, like robocopy... the new volume can't contain any security of the "other" volume because that is the data and security you are trying to restore. i really don't understand why there is an option to copy security. when i saw that i assumed it would work like robocopy.
jeff5144

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Folder Shares Reply with quote

Anyway to speed up the next release to include retaining of shares?

Software works great however when you have 400 user folders that are shared out it takes a long time to go through each one and share them individually. I know using the calcs command will work and I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just would be nice if your GUI would allow to create the shares as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is a statment that is open to interpretation. I would interpret this as meaning the source and target directories must have identical permissions, not necessarily the files contained therein. If the target is empty, then when VVPro copies the files over, the destination files would have identical permissions as the source files.

What's the reality supposed to be here, Support?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Folder Shares Reply with quote

jeff5144 wrote:
Anyway to speed up the next release to include retaining of shares?

Software works great however when you have 400 user folders that are shared out it takes a long time to go through each one and share them individually. I know using the calcs command will work and I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just would be nice if your GUI would allow to create the shares as well.

try HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\shares. i exported that branch and will import it at a later time...
jeff5144

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our other administrators ended up writing a script in VB using the rmshare.exe command it works great.
Mino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To copy DACL, SACL, Owner Info between two directories with VV (Source and Target) the following conditions must be true:

- Base source and base target must have the same ACL as a starting point. Only base source and base target.
- The two dirs need to be part of the same domain. Otherwise the SID will not be recognised in the new domain and you will get raw SID not user descriptions.
- If source and target are part of different domains, users need to be imported to the new domain first - see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250267/

To copy share definitions see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q141589/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going back a ways but what the heck.

Question: Does the system you are running VV on need to be running a compatible OS? I have tried to copy security info and have had no luck but I am initiating the sync with a laptop that is running fat32 and the source and targets are on ntfs win2k servers. Does that matter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that support does not feel the need to answer these questions regarding the NTFS permissions? Can we get some answers as to how this is specifically supposed to work?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum