Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Conflicting files - why?

Ferd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Conflicting files - why? Reply with quote

HI,

Is there any way to get more information from VVPro v2 when it tells me that two files no conflict because they have both changed.

For my project I backup a folder on my laptop of software and various utility programs to my server (using a UNC path). Every other day I download a new "trunk" version of Firefox and Thunderbird to the laptop (keeping a single name thus overwriting the old version) and then run my project.

I am 100% positive that only the source has changed as I never access the server version, so I do not understand why everytime I execute the project Firefox and Thunderbird nearly always flag up as a conflict and it's very annoying.

I need more detail as to why,

Cheers,
Taomyn
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VV PRO 2 marks a file pair as a conflict when both file timestamps have changed since last sync.
Sometimes it may mark a conflict also when a copy operation fails. If a copy operation fails you would see this in the log file. You can set a log file in the profile settings.

There is also another way to debug this. With VV PRO you can create snapshots of folders. You do this in the comparison window, select from the "List" menu, "Save" -> "Target to a list". Once you saved to a snapshot you can compare a folder vs a snapshot. You could create a snapshot of your server folder and then compare the server folder vs the snapshot before you run your usual sync to discover if server files have changed. Let me know how it goes and if you find something.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Ferd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option to "Select Snapshot" is greyed out when I try to add a new Source/Target selection?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - you will need to create a separate project for the snapshot.
Ferd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean "separate profile" then that's what I'm doing Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need a separate profile and you can only use 1 snapshot per profile. Smile
Ferd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sorted that out as I had VV in multiple source/target mode.

However, this causes me a problem as my problem is with at multiple source/target mode profile and I cannot get my saved lists to compare in single mode - it always complains that it cannot read the snapshot file Sad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum