Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Logs - how do I know when profiles last run?

Trailerman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Logs - how do I know when profiles last run? Reply with quote

Hi

I just bought VV2 and am using it to keep our systems syncronized.

However, I can't find any record of when profiles are run. Does VV keep logs of when profiles are run at all, or is there any way of checking or anabling this? Where should I look?

I'm mainly using shortcuts to run backup/synchronization profiles manually, as I don't feel comfortable relying entirely on scheduled tasks.

Any help much appreciated.

Jules
robertpri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly no expert, but this is why I do use the task scheduler, so I know the profiles ran on time. I check them once in a while to make certain. My only objection is this:

if the source drive is working, the profile runs no matter what. good.
if the target drive is not on, it runs anyway, which is expected, but does not report a "failure". It seems to "think" that it worked.

If the source drive is off, then it does not run.

Or, so it seems to this novice user.
Trailerman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert - thanks for your response

This is the exact reason why I can't rely entirely on scheduled backups - often either the source or target drives may not be switched on, and I'm concerned that jobs will be skipped, exactly as you describe.

Personally I'm happy running running profiles manually (although it would be great to have direct access to multiple processes from the launcher), but I do really need some record of when a profile was last completed. Otherwise, with 20 or so backup profiles, it's very hard to keep track of what might need attention.

Incidentally, I should add that I'm extremely impressed by VV as a whole, and think this could be the ultimate sync/bakcup tool with a few very minor tweaks.

Thanks again for any help.

Jules
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can suggest the following:

- You could setup a log file for every profile. The log file timestamp and content will show you when a profiles runs.
- You could setup the profiles in VVScheduler but do not schedule them. Run them manually by clicking on 'Run'. This will show you the last time a jub was executed.

By the way, we plan to extend VVLauncher to deal with multiple projects and become a sort of 'console' to control all jobs.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Trailerman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the suggestions.

The manual scheduler approach sounds like a good one - I'll give that and the logfile suggestion a try.

Running multiple profiles from the launcher would certainly be the most elegant solution, especially if it kept track of profiles and reported when they were last run. My one request would be an option to ensure profiles can be 'queued' to run sequentially, as is currently possible with the Scheduler and shortcut systems.

Thanks again

Jules
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum