Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Error message - cannot change attributes - cannot find path

Walter R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Error message - cannot change attributes - cannot find path Reply with quote

I struggled for a few days to synchronise my notebook with the server.
From server to notebook was ok, but notebook to server direction was blocked.
I have been using VV Pro for a year, and have had only joy to date. I changed notebooks last week (wich included a change to Vista).

Thanks to the tip "flag the 'copy directly to the destination file' " in one of the discussions, I resolved this block. VV is back online!

On reflection, I should have deduced this problem. When I manually dragged and dropped a file to the destination in VV, it seemed to be OK with the copy of the file to 95% completion, but then changed its mind, and came with the error message. i.e. it could not change the temporary file name to the actual file name!

Voila, disable the temporary file option, and it works.

What is the risk with a direct copy?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the risk with a direct copy?

Hi, when not using a temp file, the overwritten file is replaced during a copy and if the copy fails, the file is incorrect. When using a temp file, the overwritten file is replaced by the temp file only at the end, if the copy is successful. It is strange that the server does not allow renaming.... maybe some of the file permissions are blocking this? thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Walter R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Error message - cannot change attributes - cannot find path Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe some of the file permissions are blocking this

This can only b file permissions on the server. The synchronisation was working perfectly. There were no changes to the server. User name was unchanged.

The only change was
- new notebook
- Vista operating system on the notebook (possibly the ultimate cause?)

Hence my puzzlement!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Errors on all hidden, system, and read only files. Reply with quote

I too had this problem. I would get errors on all hidden, system, and read only files. The log file said "coulnd not change attributes ... Access Denied" Selecting Direct copy works great. I have a NAS (LaCie 1TB Ethernet Big Disk) but there not not much to it. Don't know what else I can change on it.
Travelcard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also getting this exact problem (Can not change attributes of...) on a LaCie 2TB Ethernet Big Disk (hah!)

Is there a solution to this now?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be an incompatibility between the hidden, system, and read only file attributes, temp files and the LaCie NAS... I think switching on the option 'Copy Directly to destination file (do not use a temporary file)' solves the problem(VV won't use temp files then). thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum