Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Scheduled job dies, log is truncated

jerryschwartz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Scheduled job dies, log is truncated Reply with quote

Be gentle, I'm new and my predecessor said "good luck with that" on his way out the door.

We have a job that mirrors a directory (tree, I presume) on a server in Japan. Naturally, it gags mightily on files and folders with Japanese names; but apparently someone decided that the English stuff was good enough.

Lately, though, the scheduled job dies abnormally: the exit code shown in the scheduler window is -1073741819. The log file is truncated, the last lines show something like

Quote:
2005-08-03 08:35:16 : Copying T:\Publishers\ZI\Reports\ZI14403 ???·????????????????.doc [Can not open "T:\Publishers\ZI\Reports\ZI14403 ???·????????????????.doc". All or part of the path is invalid.] [ERROR]. Skipped.
2005-08-03 08:35:16 : Copying T:\Publishers\ZI\Reports\ZI14428 ????????????????.doc [Can not open "T:\Publishers\ZI\Reports\ZI14428 ????????????????.doc". All or part of the path is invalid.] [ERROR]. Skipped.
2005-08-03 08:35:16 : Copying T:\Publishers\ZI\Reports\ZI1

Since it dies while processing the Zs, I'm inclined to believe that we are getting most of our stuff; but this is nettlesome. The system is displaying a very polite "Sorry, I died" type of window. Tomorrow morning I'll try to post some of the technical details from that.

Suggestions? Clearly, the new version that handles Japanese file names will be a boon to us; but since skipping all of those files is the only thing that lets this thing finish in a reasonable time I don't want to charge ahead without some thought.

Thanks.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definetely try the new version.
Regarding the reason why VV dies: one of the causes could be wrong timestamp of the files in target. Let me know if you find out more. Running the new version as a compare only would probably help debugging this.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
jerryschwartz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

AppName: viceversa.exe AppVer: 1.3.1.3 ModName: viceversa.exe
ModVer: 1.3.1.3 Offset: 0012e597
jerryschwartz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Ran a comparison... now what? Reply with quote

TGRMN Software wrote:
I would definetely try the new version.
Regarding the reason why VV dies: one of the causes could be wrong timestamp of the files in target. Let me know if you find out more. Running the new version as a compare only would probably help debugging this.

I installed the latest beta and did a comparison, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. I didn't get any error messages, but I did see some things I don't understand (remember, I took this over as a black box setup):

I spotted some single files on the source that were months old, and have no idea why they hadn't been copied to the target long since.

There was one inaccessible directory on the target. It has funky characters in its name, so perhaps this has to do with prior attempts to handle Japanese file and folder names by switching languages on the local machine before running certain jobs.

I'd love to start from scratch with the new version, but there's 21gb of data involved and our VPN to Japan is not very fast. If I let ViceVersa Pro copy and prune, it should eventually clean itself up, shouldn't it? The paired files amounted to about 19gb, so it might conceivably fix up the remaining 3gb over a weekend.

Is my reasoning correct on that?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a 'Backup (Mirror Source to Target)' with the new beta it will clean up it self and you will have an exact replica of the source to the target. Do setup a log file in the profile settings and check it out at the end of execution. I would also switch on the option 'log only errors in summary'.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum